There has to be a way to do this....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all. I would really like to set up a 10 gallon tank I have underneath my 55 to use as a refugium. Eveyone at the LFS says I need to put it on top of the tank for it to be feesable but I am just not buying it. essentally what I want to do is put the tank in the stand and use gravity to bring the water down to the 10 gallon where I will have some algea and a bunch of Live sand where pods can grow. Is there really no way to get it back up to the main tank without destroying the pods on the way if they even can get up there which I was told just wouldn't happen. There has to be a way to get this set up I cannot belive I am the only person who has ever wanted to do this. Also would just a regular florescent light that came with the tank be enough for just algea and bugs if I left it on 24/7? I just can't see spending 150 bucks on a hang on when I have a tank and powerheads and all just sitting here staring at me.

Thanks

Doan

You'll need a hang-on overflow. If you try using just a gravity fed siphon you're going to eventually end up with a wet carpet. Don't skimp on the overflow, without a drilled tank you really need a high quality overflow.

The pods will easily make the journey to the display tank if you use a water pump instead of a powerhead. Powerheads are brutal on pods.

A regular flourescent would be fine for the refugium. Two bulbs would be better.

A small pump would bring the water back up to the tank just fine. Pods are so small most will survive the trip through the pump just fine :D Many people have fuges under their tank. IMO, you may be able to get a cheap rubbermaid container that is bigger than 10g to fit under your tank for a few $$ at a local walmart.

Thanks, I knew there had to be a way to do this.. Now I just need to find an overflow.

Doan

Back
Top Bottom