TherealFF's Tank Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys. This is TherealFF. Something happened to my FF account. I couldn't log in. I thought it was a server's problem so I waited for 3 or 4 weeks but still can't log in, so I made this account. I would like give you all some updates about my tank.

1. Algae bloom was gone 2 or 3 weeks ago. I did a 2 days blackout, turned the light back on (8 hours light cycle per day) and the water got "really" better but still alittle greenish. About 3 days later, the water was crystal clear. I think it was my new skimmer that did the trick. I changed my light cycle to 12 hours (10hrs of 10,000k and 12 hrs of actinic) 3 weeks ago and no problems so far.

2. I added 3 new fishes. I was too eager to add new stuff after the water was clear hehe :roll:. I added a green chromis and a diamond goby 2 weeks ago. The chromis was shy the first few days, but schooled with my 2 clownfishes soon after that. The diamond goby completely cleaned my sandbed of algae in just 2 or 3 days. He then started working on his barrows. He has 3 holes now lol. Then I added a royal gramma last week. He hid for 3 or 4 days in a cave, but now he's hanging infront of that cave all day long. All three fishes are eating like pigs. The chromis is a food hog! The royal gramma just wait infront of his cave til foods float by. The diamond goby keeps sifting to sand day in and day out.

*Problem: the goby's sifting habit creats tiny sand storms in my tank :(. They weren't as bad as they are the last 3 days. For more than 2 weeks, the goby havn't sifting this much til recently. Lots of tiny sand grains are floating around in my tank. Would this habit of "constantly" sifting be a problem? How would I reduce this habit? Mayb feeding more?

3. An anemone 8O. I impulsely bought a small (5in. diamter) green BTA 3 days ago. Luckily, it stayed right where I put it (about halfway up in the tank, with a intermediate/strong flow) for 3 days already. I guess that means it is happy in my tank. The parameters have been stable for 3 - 4 weeks so i hope my anemone will be fine. I fed it twice (the first treat was stolen by my cleaner shrimp :?) It happily consumed the 2nd treat and released a chunk of waste about a day later.

*Parameters as of 3 days ago:
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 5
PO4: .25
SG: 1.022
Ca: 400
PH: 8.4

4. I bought a bottle of formula one pellets. These sink so fast. Anyone has this problem? Mayb my 1.022 salinity is too low to keep them floating? I wanted to by a bottle of formula two but is there pellet formula two or there's only formula two flakes? And should I get some formula frozen foods? are they better than pellets? Should i feed my fishes with frozen bloodworms or dried bloodworms (i heard that my goby loves bloodworms)? I also soak my foods in garlic for a few hours before feeding them to my fishes to strengthen their immune system. One problem is sometimes, my fishes reject garlic soaked foods. Does it take time for my fishes to get used to garlic or would they always reject garlic? Does this behavior have anything to do with me extracting my own garlic juice out of garlics at home?

That's all the updates I can remember at the momment. I'll post some more when I remember :wink:. Btw sorry for the long post :p

Here are some pictures (more are in my gallery):

1-16.jpg

1-20.jpg

1-19.jpg

Nice tank, good job on the rock work. I would ask you why do you keep youe salinity so low? I would bump it up to .025 just my 2 cents.

As for your sifting Goby I am not sure about that? And as for the garlic I would just add a few drop into the food instead of soaking it. I always made my own food and froze it. I added powdered garlic and vitamin C drops. Worked great for me as I had a small ich outbreak when I first set the tank up but it cleared up once I started using these additives.

Besides fish can be really picky eaters so don't worryb too much if somethimes they spit it out and other times they don't. Somethimes the peice is too big for them so they spit it out and try to nibble on it or find a smaller piece. HTH?

My goby keeps stirring the sand bed SO MUCH. The water is now cloudy with tiny sand particles. I got him out of the tank, in a small container. Im waiting for my dad to get home so we can return this lil devil. He was so beautiful T.T... yet a trouble maker

Back
Top Bottom