Things sure have changed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Started up a 75 gallon tank after quite a few years out of the hobby. Things sure have changed though. Years ago I set up my tanks with cc substrate UG filter HOB and a canister. Never cycled, simply wait for the tank to clear up and then used what we called dither fish, usually a few inexpensive damsels and then did small partial water changes almost daily for the first month or so. Never lost a dither fish or any others for that matter that where added down the line.

Testing amounted to "look and sniff"

Fish active and feeding, water smells good= good water

Fish jumpy, rapid respiration or even floating on top of water= bad water.

I have set up my 75 gallon tank in the exact same manner as described above. Question is how difficult it will be to slowly convert to a more modern reef set up. The plan is to after a few months remove the UG filter plate from one half of the tank and replace with sand and LR and repeat the process done the line in the other half of the tank. I am not sure how feasible this will be with the tank set up already as FO. Tank is only 10 days old with a few damsels so I have some time to mull it over. Any suggestions are welcome.

Going bare-bottomed would be even more up to date (I wouldn't tell anyone how many years ago this was) :lol:

Kim

Back
Top Bottom