Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post

It's not difficult at all. Just feed the other fish first, then target feed the mandarin
Dont think thats possible lol, they would kill it for the food! So i will justnget one in the 60 as it will have a 6g fuge in the sump

Old 12-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Mine aren't shy at all about getting close or even touching the mandarin when there's food involved, but they never actually attack him. And I even had a puffer (Valentini) and trigger (niger) in there. Not saying you are wrong by any means, just think it's easy (Atleast for me)

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
Mine aren't shy at all about getting close or even touching the mandarin when there's food involved, but they never actually attack him. And I even had a puffer (Valentini) and trigger (niger) in there. Not saying you are wrong by any means, just think it's easy (Atleast for me)
Oh, ive observed that my 5" starry blenny will fight eveyone in the tank for food. He only eats frozen so it would be hard to get him away from the food for the mandarin as he isnt a bit scared of me or a net...
Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

There aren't many fish that will mess with a mandarins. Mandarin fish secrete mucous which might act to repel predators. The intense coloration also might play a role in avoiding predation by signalling to potential predators that they are toxic (Sadovy et al. 2005). Early development could possibly be an adaptive strategy to reduce the risk of predation (Sadovy et al, 2001). There is no available information on specific predators of the species.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Think im ready for a mandarin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeffanman View Post
There aren't many fish that will mess with a mandarins. Mandarin fish secrete mucous which might act to repel predators. The intense coloration also might play a role in avoiding predation by signalling to potential predators that they are toxic (Sadovy et al. 2005). Early development could possibly be an adaptive strategy to reduce the risk of predation (Sadovy et al, 2001). There is no available information on specific predators of the species.

Agreed. Sane fish won't mess with them. But the problem is they are very slow meticulous eaters. Any wrasse can out eat them and strip the reef of pods before they get them.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Have had a green spotted for a couple months. No pods. Started eating brine shrimp. Happy lil fish. Have fun! Dont stress.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Two months?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com