Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thinking about a sump....

So I have a 30 gallon tank, right now I'm running a magnum 350 canister filter, but I'm thinking about making a sump. I have an extra 10 gallon tank, would this be worth it? or big enough to be a sump? Any ideas would help, Thanks!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie View Post
So I have a 30 gallon tank, right now I'm running a magnum 350 canister filter, but I'm thinking about making a sump. I have an extra 10 gallon tank, would this be worth it? or big enough to be a sump? Any ideas would help, Thanks!

A sump isnt necessary, however I would definately do it. adding a 10gal sump would give you 30% more water volume. Smaller aquariums have issues with water stability because they have such low volume. The more water youve got, the better and more stable your water parameters will be. Hope that helped.

Edit - One more thing i forgot to add. Are you planning on doing corals? If your doing corals, you'll need a skimmer. A 10gal sump would be able to fit a nice skimmer.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
is back to save the day!

I agree on the 10G as a sump. The bigger the tank you can use as a sump, the better, but if a 10G is all you have, don't sweat it. Check out my build thread. I made a pretty godly sump out of a 10G. I love it, it works, and is actually my fuge instead of a sump.. but you can make it whichever you like. However, i will say, that if you are trying to do both, sump and refugium, out of the 10G.. it's going to be a nightmare. It was hard enough for me to silicone the baffles since space is REALLY limited in a 10G.. and if you put too many baffles on in order to seperate the fuge and sump parts, you'll be left with hardly any room for your skimmers, reactors, etc.. and then even less room for a refugium. So i would say.. a 10G is good if you want to do either one.. but to do both would be suicidal. Well.. maybe not suicidal lol, but rather "not worth the effort."

Here's my thread link, and you can find pictures of the refugium near the bottom of the page.
Zer0's 25G Rimless Cube Reef
Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEverii View Post
Edit - One more thing i forgot to add. Are you planning on doing corals? If your doing corals, you'll need a skimmer. A 10gal sump would be able to fit a nice skimmer.
That's not correct Cerevii. I don't own a sump or skimmer and do all my filtration via biological filtration and I have a few different corals. All you need is good water quality, adequete filtration (mechanical or bio) and good lights.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
is back to save the day!

I also agree with Mitch. You really only need a skimmer when you have larger sized tanks. Usually anything over 35/40 gallons is a safe bet to use a skimmer.. But if you've got tanks smaller then that, all filtration needs could be accomplished by weekly PWC's, and a decent amount of live rock in the tank. I'll be doing a full reef tank, and i won't be running a skimmer. Just a refugium.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

So he can feed his Zoas pods.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
is back to save the day!

Truth! I want to see my Zoas eat SO bad. But i mean.. it's not just for that. It's for pristine water quality too!!

But mostly for the pods to feed my zoas.. :p
Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm intending to set-up a sump. I wanna run activated carbon and phosphate remover. Plus some filter floss to get rid of floating things. I've got some beautiful Red Acro like Marco and Purple Monti (plating) like Macro on a rock in my DT. So I don't need a fuge.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool Thanks guys! Zero- What are the dimensions between each section? Did you follow someone else's plan?
Old 06-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
is back to save the day!

Yeah, i followed someone elses design but the measurements weren't the same since he was using an 18G tank and i was using a 10G.

Try looking at this site:

Melevsreef.com - What is a Sump?

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com