Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
THinking about adding more LR

I was thinking about adding some more LR, prolly bout 20lbs, putting me at 105lbs... How would I go about doing this? I don't really have a place to quarantine the rock, and I'm gonna prolly get the Gulf rock from lr.com so I don't think there should be too much dieoff.. what is the usual procedure and what is a taylor made one that may be a feasible way for me to add it..

Oceanicsublimat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
LR.com recommends putting their rock right into the main. If shipping times are less then 20hrs this is ussually not a problem. Longer then a day or if your shipment gets delayed you will have more die off and it is best re-cured before going into the main.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Curing means putting the rock in a basin of salt water (You can buy a plastic tub for $10 at Target). If you have an air stone or prefferably a power head, hook it up and throw it in for circulation. Add a small heater to keep the temp around 77-78 and change about a third of the water every few days. Do this for about 10-14 days and it should keep from creating any kind of ammonia spike. Some hobbyists rinse and dislodge loose die off in the beginning. Up to you but I would probably cure the rock just to be on the safe side even if they say it's cured.
75 Gal FOWLR est. 6-01
Wet Dry w/Amiracle Skimmer
[Bio Balls/1lbs. slow drip Carbon]
9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com