Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-01-2006, 10:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Mac I also do not agree with your advice on feeding, if the lighting is enough ( which IMO its not ) feeding is not needed on a regular basis.
Scoot some things can not be rushed and it seems like your rushing to me. Your tank needs to be stable for at least 8 months before thinking about an anemone. they are delicate critters and they may seem easy but there not in a tank that has nitrates. You have a large fish load and IMO your nitrates will only get higher in the long run with only 45 lbs of LR in a 75. Get more LR at least another 30 lbs and maybe add a fuge if you plan on keeping all those fish.
Right now I have a BTA under my 4x65 watt PC Orbit light and it is not doing all that great. The tank is 3 years old and has about 70 lbs of lr and 0 nitrates and po4 and its just not enough to keep it happy IMO. And having 70 lbs of lr the anemone is mid way in the tank. When I put it in from my reef it was 4-5" across, now its around 3" and the color has is pale.
Do not rush into this, just because there cheap does not mean you need one.

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I wasn't rushing - I just wanted feedback about caring for a BTA at this point. That's why I'm asking.

The comments I made about getting new lights, UV, and extra lighting for the 'fuge are neccessary with or without a BTA. I want my nitrates as low as possible either way. That means fewer PWC's and better overall water quality.

There aren't many articles out there specifically on caring for anenome's, and so I'm here asking. I'm weeks away from doing anything because I'm going on vacation next week.

I do have a fuge with 10 pounds of LR rubble and chaetomorpha, just increased lighting on it. The chaeto hasn't been very productive so far.

Yeah, there are numerous fishes in the tank, but all but a couple are under an inch at the moment. Only the parrotfish, the yellow tang, and the coral beauty are bigger than an inch. The damsel, basslet, clowns, blenny, and pajamafish are all around an inch or less.

Am I wrong in thinking that's not a very heavy of a bioload for a 75g tank with about 15 gallons of sump/fuge?

Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I will aggree that if you have sufficient lighting then you wont need to target feed an anemone, but in the case with Scoot here I dont think the lighting system he is installing would be enough to support a BTA without supplemental feeding, thus being the reason I suggested a once weekly feeding of a frozen food. Even if you have enough lighting I cant think that a weekly or bi-weekly feeding with frozen silversides or the like would be a negative thing in the case of any large anemone.

One thing about BTA's Scoot is this. In my expierence and over the years I have kept lots of BTA's as well as other anemones these guys are either hit or miss. You can do everything in your power to get it perfect and even then these creatures have a habit of thriving for a while then ending up dead. If I were you, and this is just a suggestion I would keep some of the hardier corals avaliable and some other easy to care for inverts (which is misleading because in essence no invert is easy to care for) and leave the aneome for another time when you have some more expierence under your belt and a more established tank.
Want a great read check out my debut novel Neptune's Garden: www.neptunesgardenbook.com
macman7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thanks for the advice.

I can't do any stony corals (my parrotfish would devour them), but have been looking at soft corals, mushrooms, leathers, etc. I'll wait a few more months, to have a more stable tank, get some more LR to help with denitrification, then progress into some easy soft corals first.

180G build thread

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com