Thinking about doing a salt tank ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin144

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to do a larger 29 gallon biocube for my first salt tank but sadly I don't have the funds so I have this ten gallon that's just sitting around and was wondering how much it would cost to put together a 10 gallon tank out of this ? And if I could what could I do for stocking ?

It could be done. You couldn't have much for fish, yellow watchman goby, couple small clowns? Mostly corals, I would focus on them in that size.

I would deffinitly want to do some begginer corals , maybe a cleaner shrimp ? With the group . But what could I do for filtration and such , I can't really make a sump for it ?

You wouldn't need to. You will need live rock, you could also add some macro algae if you wanted. You would need to do weekly water changes to export excess nutrients. Yes, you could have several shrimp.

I totally new to this side of the aquarium world so what equipment do you recommend ? And is their any kind of skimmer I could use ?

Also could I do a goby pistol shrimp relationship ? And I have no idea what I'm looking at so what do you reccomend in substrates, and lighting, and all of the above . I'm looking for the best way to do this if I do ot

Any type of aragonite based sand will work for the goby/shrimp pair. Yellow watchmen and tiger pistols are cool to watch but any of the shrimp gobies will pair with a pistol shrimp. Lighting I would go with a t5 ho fixture that has at least 4 bulbs so you can keep mos corals. You could also do led like a par38 bulb which would grow most corals. Ecoxotic sells nice par38 leds.

There are plenty of filtration techniques used for small tanks (some are listed above). There are also "hang on back" refugiums as well as skimmers. I'd search google for "nano" whatever you're asking about for a good idea of price. T5 bulbs are fine but if you can swing it I am a fan of LEDs and you could get a small fixture for a tank that size that would do more than enough for anything you'd put in there (probably only have to run it at 30% or lower). Welcome to this side of the hobby :)

Would I good hob filter with live work ? Or would it be smarter to do a hob skimmer with live work idea? . Also is the aqua c remora hob skimmer a good nano skimmer ? Or does anyone have any preferences for this sorta stuff

Don't see why both a skimmer and filtration device (in some fashion) can't be used together. I do that with my 75 gallon (filter sock, refugium, and skimmer) If space is an issue maybe you could plumb into a stand or something. As for specific products I'm not your best resource. The only nano tank I had was a freshwater :) I'll stay on the thread though. Want to set one up myself someday

The remora is a fantastic hob skimmer! Also, I would definitely still do the hob filter as well. It will give you a place to run carbon or other chemical media to help with pollutants or toxins from the corals.

Good hob filter and a powerhead will get you and keep you going just fine. 3-5 gal water change every week will keep nitrates low. Looking to save money buy a decent light and hob filter penguin bio wheel or aquaeon rate larger than 10gallons maybe 30 gal rating and you will be good.

I have an aqueon 50-75 gallon filter that I used for a month before I got a canister for my fresh tank . Could I use that or would that be too much ?

Try it out if it's not splashing out it fine. More flow the better. Salt is not hard just cycle the tank properly keep up with water changes and you will be fine. I run a 20 gal with bio wheel 200 and regular light. I don't keep corals in that one but a pair of coral banded, Arrow crab and rocks for future use. Sometimes a fish or two that i want in my display tank. You have the filter a powerhead and light t5 s are pretty cheap for that size or LEDs a little more but no bulb replacement.

Would it almost be cheaper to find a sale on the coralife biocube 14? And then I would have the sump area in the back to run things . I deffinitly want to run a skimmer with everything else ? But cost wise wouldn't it be about the same ? I already have the heater, the filter is the back , and I could run a skimmer ? And the light comes with the tank ?

Would it almost be cheaper to find a sale on the coralife biocube 14? And then I would have the sump area in the back to run things . I deffinitly want to run a skimmer with everything else ? But cost wise wouldn't it be about the same ? I already have the heater, the filter is the back , and I could run a skimmer ? And the light comes with the tank ?

That would work, and it will give you the extra 4 gallons. Your lights alone would cost 100-200$. And then all you would buy would be a skimmer.

Yep the bio cube would be fine, when you get the hang of it you could setup the 10 as a extra tank. Light for the ten about 50-70.

I think I'm going to do the biocube 14 once football is over , and holidays come around :) so I have funds :)

Back
Top Bottom