Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thinking about doing a salt tank ...

I wanted to do a larger 29 gallon biocube for my first salt tank but sadly I don't have the funds so I have this ten gallon that's just sitting around and was wondering how much it would cost to put together a 10 gallon tank out of this ? And if I could what could I do for stocking ?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It could be done. You couldn't have much for fish, yellow watchman goby, couple small clowns? Mostly corals, I would focus on them in that size.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would deffinitly want to do some begginer corals , maybe a cleaner shrimp ? With the group . But what could I do for filtration and such , I can't really make a sump for it ?
Old 10-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

You wouldn't need to. You will need live rock, you could also add some macro algae if you wanted. You would need to do weekly water changes to export excess nutrients. Yes, you could have several shrimp.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I totally new to this side of the aquarium world so what equipment do you recommend ? And is their any kind of skimmer I could use ?
Old 10-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also could I do a goby pistol shrimp relationship ? And I have no idea what I'm looking at so what do you reccomend in substrates, and lighting, and all of the above . I'm looking for the best way to do this if I do ot
Old 10-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Any type of aragonite based sand will work for the goby/shrimp pair. Yellow watchmen and tiger pistols are cool to watch but any of the shrimp gobies will pair with a pistol shrimp. Lighting I would go with a t5 ho fixture that has at least 4 bulbs so you can keep mos corals. You could also do led like a par38 bulb which would grow most corals. Ecoxotic sells nice par38 leds.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are plenty of filtration techniques used for small tanks (some are listed above). There are also "hang on back" refugiums as well as skimmers. I'd search google for "nano" whatever you're asking about for a good idea of price. T5 bulbs are fine but if you can swing it I am a fan of LEDs and you could get a small fixture for a tank that size that would do more than enough for anything you'd put in there (probably only have to run it at 30% or lower). Welcome to this side of the hobby
Old 10-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would I good hob filter with live work ? Or would it be smarter to do a hob skimmer with live work idea? . Also is the aqua c remora hob skimmer a good nano skimmer ? Or does anyone have any preferences for this sorta stuff
Old 10-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't see why both a skimmer and filtration device (in some fashion) can't be used together. I do that with my 75 gallon (filter sock, refugium, and skimmer) If space is an issue maybe you could plumb into a stand or something. As for specific products I'm not your best resource. The only nano tank I had was a freshwater I'll stay on the thread though. Want to set one up myself someday

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com