Thinking about getting macroalgae..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can anyone recommend a super easy type to keep.... something that at most I'll have to trim back every now and then...... if it's not eaten of course.....

Your Yellow Tang will find many macros deeelicious, but they are quite nutritious, so it's not all bad. I swear it cured mine of the HLLE it came with.

For a non-Tang snack, you may want to try Halimeda. It's kind of cactusy looking.

I believe your Yellow Tang may also leave Sargassum alone.

These are just a couple, but I believe them to be hardy, and fairly attractive.

I'm ok with him grazing. Mine also has HLLE , so any help in that department would be kewl too. Still open to more suggestions.

I fed mine Ulva and Red Gracillaria. The Ulva was gone in no time, and in both cases, I had trouble keeping them away from the snails (so watch out if you have snails likely to munch them, Turbos for example (see my gallery) are fairly naughty when it comes to this).

IMO, since I have a nano tank, macro algae should stay out of the main tank because they can over take your rock work and corals. Even if you trim them down their roots can dig into the rocks and keep spreading.

In larger tanks it might be more easy to control because it is considered ok to keep certain fish, critters that will eat the stuff.

I would still keep the macro out of the main tank and keep it in a refugium or sump where it is more easy to control so it won't over run the main.

about the HLLE, i have had it in my tang too, and i really found that broccoli helped. i just blanched it for a few seconds to make it hte consistancy of algae and stuck it in there, he loves it and within a few weeks the HLLE apperaed to be gone. it is now a regular part of his diet and he has had no relapses.

Back
Top Bottom