Thinking about giving up the reef . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my tank up for almost a year now and have really enjoyed the progression. I started off with a FO and soon bought a bunch of LR. After about 6-7 months I started with my first corals and upgraded to a MH hood. Ever since then I have not enjoyed the tank as much. I have battled hair algae and cyano (starting to beat the cyano) even with RO/DI and an AquaC skimmer and sump with chaeto. The tank constantly looks dirty and I feel it might be more trouble than it's worth. What I am thinking is just taking a step back to a FOWLR tank and putting my PC hood back on the tank instead of the MH. This would also allow me to get a nice angel without the fear of coral nipping.

Am I overreacting? Has anyone made the switch back from a reef? Please let me know your experiences.

tripper

A reef is certainly not for everyone. So, no, I don't think you are overreacting. You need to do what feels right for you. Good luck with whatever you decide. :D

The corals do not do anything for the biofilter of the tank. The LR alone is capable of keeping my parameters in check. The bacteria are found on all surfaces of the rock and sand.

I think I will keep the coral I have in the tank, mostly LPS and zoos . . . they should be fine under the PC lights. If the new tankmates decide to nip, I will take them out and have a coral sale.

tripper

I had the same problem as you after my tank was up for about 7 months. It was taken over by hair alage and cyno. I was using tap water at the time and my rocks had no caves for which water to flow through. So I made the ultimate comitment and drained the tank and added the livrock and to a 20 gal. With RO water protien skimmer and 110w light. Also threw in snails crabs ect. So I waited about 1 month needless to say everything recured and has nothing on it, and the coralline really took off. I also replaced the sand in my 65gal before I replaaced the rock back in. This time I did it right and got a refugium with cheto which seems to be helping ALOT and also really stocked up on craps snails ect. Right now since Im using RO water I have 0 cyno and a little bit of hair alegea on the powerheads just because snails wont go near the powerheads so I just pick it off. There is none on the rocks sand or walls so I am very happy. Thats basically what I did to solve my problem it was a little drastic but the first time I just jumped into it without doing much research the second time however I was a little bit more careful and upon doing my reseach I found that the refurium was the best for coralline and corals. Also I heard an UV Sterilzer works well too. But I hear its no suggested for corals becuase it removed nutrients from corals. Hope this helps although it was a little drastic it really took care of the problem.

How many hours a day are your lights on now? What I'm thinking is could you reduce your lighting to 3-5 hrs a day of MH and see if that helps you get the algae under control? Once you don't have it in the tank anymore you may be able to up your lighting again.

How many water changes at what percentage did you do with the RO/DI? Have you been running rowaphos and nitrate stuff?

I know that isn't what you were asking for, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. I don't know about you, but I just wouldn't love it as much if it weren't for the corals. Man I love those animals like crazy!

That being said, you could certainly revert to FOWLR (or corals under PC; I have to say that was working surprisingly well for me with only 2.1wpg). And there'd be nothing wrong with that if it made you a happier person and allowed you to get fish you'd enjoy more. You have to do what makes *you* happy.

If you want to get rid of your corals I'll run over there and get them (hey, you're not so far from me)! The may meeting of the NJRC is going to be in Woodbury, NJ just in case you're interested in going!

Back
Top Bottom