Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I absolutely hated all the premade stands I saw. Particle board and water are not a good combination. My husband and I built our own for the 90 gallon. We used 2X4 constuction and put beadboard on and custom molding trim. Really pretty - really sturdy. Almost a year now with no structural problems. It was much cheaper to make one than to buy one.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO 1-1.5 lbs of LR is just fine for a reef tank. I have around 1lb per gallon and all is fine and I have lots of fish and plan on adding more. I do have a fuge which is a big help for nitrate reduction. Im glad I got a 125 and if I did it over and knew what I know now i would have gotten a 180.
the 155 bow is a nice tak but Im not a big fan of the bow front, they cost more and if you look at the tank at the right angle there is a distortion. JMO.
dont take me wrong on the LR, more is better but there comes a point when there is too much, I want a fish tank not a rock tank. again JMO.
Good luck..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I'm gonna hold out for a non-particle board wood. I believe the ones I've seen are listed as black oak or pine. Building becomes more complicated since I'm kinda stuck on a bow. Really looks good with the basement decor. I forsee about 180 - 200 lbs of rock with a skimmer too. Maybe another 50 lbs in the sump. Hopefully I can get about a 50 or more gallon tank down there.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

i read an article saying that we should aquascape our tanks to resemble the reef. relativly flat rockwork and wide bottom breeder tanks would be the best choice. i know that we need a lot of rock for filtration but they showed a picture of the ideal reef setup and it maybe had 30 pounds of rock in a 75 gallon tank. it was the new addition of tropical fish mag i think. good article.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

30lbs? That could be 3 rocks I liked my 75 when I had about 80-90 lbs. Depends on the rock though.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have a 75 gal and long for the day I can get a 6ft tank
UMM UMM Can I help you with somthing Ellisz?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:49 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I'm getting prices at about $3,000 for a custom made, all wood stand and canopy. That was form Aquariums by the Sea. I'm waiting for Bio Reef Inc to quote on a unit with lights already included in the canopy. Rtero fit stuff they'll put together for me. I'm looking for about 800w with the PCs and MHs.

I can build stuff, but I'm not too optimistic about a bow set up. If its solid wood shouldn't I be a little optimistic? I'm kinda into quality stuff that I don't have to be concerned about.

Also, you guys that have offered some thing(s) for me to think about...I really appreciate it. I really do. I'm looking forward to anything more you even might be thinking about. Go ahead and throw it out there. I'm sure you've all been there, wondering if your thoughts have any substance. I really appreciate any input on this. We're talking about $4,000 to $5,000 bucks investment. I'd love to hear any and all thoughts.

Come on, let it flow.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.5g, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com