Thinking about upgrading to a 125g SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently have a 72g Oceanic Bowfront. Maybe you know I had a xenia crash recently and wiped out the rest of my corals and inverts. Lost 2 brittle stars, deresa clam and snails, leathers, zoos, frogspawn. Shrooms look like they might pull thru. Fish, cleaner and pistol shrimp doing fine. The feather dusters - I'm now sure. Their crowns aren't as prolific. I think I'm thru the worst of it now, but I got a decision to make.

1) empty the tank and fix the leak underneath (have no idea where yet)
2) empty the tank, fix the leak, and replace the stand. Looking bad from the leak (also see the right side water is lower than the left. That concerns me)
3) empty the tank and put it all back in a new 125 w/stand, lights, the works.
4) empty the tank and put shelving units there instead

Option #2 means I'm looking at a 125g All Glass Co. tank with dual overflows. 4 x 96 PCs, and new skimmer and UV of course. Got a Top Fathom 100 now, but I'm not sure I like it. Want to do an in sump skimmer and refugium thing (w/light)underneath the cabinet/stand.

Is this sounding right so far?

Any other thoughts or experience to share? Guessing I'd spend 4 grand with more hardware and 50 lbs more rock (got about 120 or so now).

I would think that you would be running too light in the live rock department even with an additional fifty pounds. I would suggest another 130 lbs if you are going with a 125 gallon tank. That will put you at the bare minimum of recommended amounts for filtration. That will up your costs a good bit too :(

Just offering food for thought.

True. If I want that lush reef back (without all that xenia this time!), 200 or so lbs would work better. That'd give me a chance for new rock and new critters maybe. Thought about fish only this time, but I know I'd miss the reef's eye candy.

Even with a fish only tank, if the rock is your only means of filtration, you should have a minimum of 2 lbs per gallon capacity. If not, you would need to keep very few fish, which would probably drive you nuts :)

I agree on the LR but sometimes I wonder how people can get that much rock in their tank :) I removed a bunch of mine and put it in the sump since my tank always looks stuffed.

IMO, get the 125 if you can afford it. I have a 75 gal and long for the day I can get a 6ft tank :)

The latest inclination...

155 AGA Bow, Oceanic Stand & Canopy (ouch!), Neddlewheel Coralife 220 or 250 in sump skimmer($70 diff), & Aqualight pro (4x96PC & 3x150MH), & 25w UV. Should be able to fit a 40g sump (or larger?) down there. Wanna do the lighted rufugium/sump thing hopefully with a decent amount of rock down there too.

Priced at retailer invoice & shipping - remember, I got a LFS buddy.

What ya'll think?!?!

Maybe I should step away from the catalogue, huh? Oh no. Help me.

I think if you can get a good deal, can fit it in the house, you should get the biggest tank you can afford. lol I like ellisz dream for the day I can get a bigger tank. :D

I have to tell you in all honesty Ray, the oceanic stuff is a bunch of Crap IMO. I have a 175 Oceanic Bow on THEIR stand and canopy, the stand is already deteriorated tremendously. They warranty is not any good unless you put it on their stand. I have had problems with their stuff from day one and I am afraid they are not the quality that they once were. I have read many other instances that were similar. I have been hunting for a carpenter to come reinforce this stand as if it doesnt get reinforced with real wood soon, it WILL end up crashing to the floor.

I thought the one I have now was my fault because of my slopiness with the SW. Who else makes stands and canopies for 155 bow tanks? @ my special buddy price, ithe Oceanic stand and canopy is still $1,600.

If I had to do it all over again the stand would be custom made. I am willing to bet that you can either do it yourself if you are inclined to carpentry, or even hire a cabinetmaker to do it and you will be better off financially plus, they will be real wood, sturdier and probably prettier. The other thing, I am a short person and all the stands we have made look very nice and are lower to the ground. I would also have made that adjustment.

I absolutely hated all the premade stands I saw. Particle board and water are not a good combination. My husband and I built our own for the 90 gallon. We used 2X4 constuction and put beadboard on and custom molding trim. Really pretty - really sturdy. Almost a year now with no structural problems. It was much cheaper to make one than to buy one.

IMO 1-1.5 lbs of LR is just fine for a reef tank. I have around 1lb per gallon and all is fine and I have lots of fish and plan on adding more. I do have a fuge which is a big help for nitrate reduction. Im glad I got a 125 and if I did it over and knew what I know now i would have gotten a 180.
the 155 bow is a nice tak but Im not a big fan of the bow front, they cost more and if you look at the tank at the right angle there is a distortion. JMO.
dont take me wrong on the LR, more is better but there comes a point when there is too much, I want a fish tank not a rock tank. again JMO.
Good luck..

I'm gonna hold out for a non-particle board wood. I believe the ones I've seen are listed as black oak or pine. Building becomes more complicated since I'm kinda stuck on a bow. Really looks good with the basement decor. I forsee about 180 - 200 lbs of rock with a skimmer too. Maybe another 50 lbs in the sump. Hopefully I can get about a 50 or more gallon tank down there.

i read an article saying that we should aquascape our tanks to resemble the reef. relativly flat rockwork and wide bottom breeder tanks would be the best choice. i know that we need a lot of rock for filtration but they showed a picture of the ideal reef setup and it maybe had 30 pounds of rock in a 75 gallon tank. it was the new addition of tropical fish mag i think. good article.

30lbs? That could be 3 rocks :) I liked my 75 when I had about 80-90 lbs. Depends on the rock though.

I'm getting prices at about $3,000 for a custom made, all wood stand and canopy. That was form Aquariums by the Sea. I'm waiting for Bio Reef Inc to quote on a unit with lights already included in the canopy. Rtero fit stuff they'll put together for me. I'm looking for about 800w with the PCs and MHs.

I can build stuff, but I'm not too optimistic about a bow set up. If its solid wood shouldn't I be a little optimistic? I'm kinda into quality stuff that I don't have to be concerned about.

Also, you guys that have offered some thing(s) for me to think about...I really appreciate it. I really do. I'm looking forward to anything more you even might be thinking about. Go ahead and throw it out there. I'm sure you've all been there, wondering if your thoughts have any substance. I really appreciate any input on this. We're talking about $4,000 to $5,000 bucks investment. I'd love to hear any and all thoughts.

Come on, let it flow.

Back
Top Bottom