Thinking of getting a 55 fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zacheyp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,
Sooooo today i walked into a resturant and saw a large sw tank. It was pretty awesome. I am thinking of getting a 55 fowlr.
Before i invest i have some questions...
Do i need a sump/ fuge or could i possibly get by with a hob filter or 2.
Second Since there is no way this is gonna be reef, what type of lid/ lighting am i looking at, Link please?
Finally how does this stock look
1 Kole tang ( i know its pushing it but its a must have)
1 maroon clown
1 dwarf angel
1 dwarf puffer of some type
1 hawkfish
1 dottyback
1 wrasse of some type
1-3 other fish
1 reef lobster
im not trying to overstock but i feel this is a good starting point and this tank could be real in a few months

Too many fish, 10 is too many. lol I alos wouldnt put a Kole tang in a 55g is either. :) I recently was asking about puffers on another thread adn was told they need a larger tank

Depends on the fish, as usual. I had i think 5 in my 55g. Two clowns, a watchman goby, a lawnmower blenny and a royal gramma. There was probably room for another one or two if i choose wisely.

how does this reduced list look
1 reef lobster
1 kole tang
1 dwarf angel
1 maroon clown
1 hawkfish
1 valentini puffer
1 dottyback

I know nothing about puffers and their compatibility. the rest of the list looks ok as far as getting along, but again, I wouldnt put even a kole tang in a 55g. While they may be passable in a 75g I think thats because of the added width of the tank. can you swing a 75g tank? same four feet in length but much better options for fish. :)

probs cant swing a 75, sad face, what would you about filtration also where online could i buy the tank cheap?

I was running a canister on my 55g until I took down the tank the other day. Just need to keep up maintenance on it. If I had my choice though i would go for a sump setup now that i have them. I was only using the canister because i was so intimidated by the idea of a sump but now that I'm on my second sump I realize it's a much better idea.
:)

Don't punish the tang for being a beautiful fish. It deserves a bigger tank.

Reactions: HN1
I don't think it's a punishment I think 55 is big enough

What are you basing that on? What makes you think its big enough? It isn't, but I'm curious as to the source of your opinion.

i understand a kole needs 4ft i just dont think the extra depth is all that important

after rereading this post i have decided not to buy anything now and just watch ebay and craigslist. I will wait until a tank minimum 100 gal comes around used so i can house all the tangs my heart desires. If you know of any such tanks let me know, im in nj and am willing to drive a few hours

Back
Top Bottom