Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2003, 10:49 PM   #11

That is a cool looking fish. I too would like one of those..Question...why is everyone talking (slow antagonizing death)?
Old 02-24-2003, 12:09 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
starvation, usually

Old 02-24-2003, 12:11 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
how cute!
Old 02-24-2003, 09:55 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo2
...why is everyone talking (slow antagonizing death)?
As hara pointed out the reason is that some gobys do not take to artifical food and will only eat live food that they are constently hunting for. The most notable fish that is like this is the mandrain goby. Its the fish with all those pyscodelic tie dye colorations.

In knowing the problems with some of the goby family I was/am a bit worried about how well these fish will accept prepaired foods.

I am going to try tonite to feed a small bit of frozen brine. I know it has little nutrional value but it will give me an indicator as to if these guys are going to need to have a short say in the q-tank due to lack of a food source.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 10:19 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I am going to try tonite to feed a small bit of frozen brine. I know it has little nutrional value but it will give me an indicator as to if these guys are going to need to have a short say in the q-tank due to lack of a food source.
You did watch them eat at the LFS...right? If you watched them eat at the LFS, you should find out what they were feeding the fish and try to feed that, they will have a better chance of eating if their diet is not changed immediately. I have not noticed starvation to be a problem with yellow watchmans.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 02:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've been following this thread with real interest because I was also thinking of getting a Spotted watchman goby or a orange spotted goby. I have crushed coral sub and was wondering if they'd be happy there. The ones I've watched at my lfs seem to do fine with that type sub. Any experiences out there??
Old 03-02-2003, 06:32 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
An update.

I moved them into the main tank early.

It looks like they have made a nice home under a rock. Today I was just looking around the tank and low and behold what do I find... Well take a look at this pic

I could not belive it that I would find one of my baby brittles attached to the face of this goby.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:03 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Hope that was the one you were lookig to post. I edited it to get rid of the red x.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 08:01 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Hope that was the one you were lookig to post. I edited it to get rid of the red x.
Thats odd cause I did nto have a red X after I had posted it. But yes thats what I was intending to post.

I was supprised to find the star fish on the goby's face.

Old 03-02-2003, 08:09 PM   #20

Quote:
I've been following this thread with real interest because I was also thinking of getting a Spotted watchman goby or a orange spotted goby. I have crushed coral sub and was wondering if they'd be happy there. The ones I've watched at my lfs seem to do fine with that type sub. Any experiences out there??
Well, I got to tell you, my spotted watchman loves sand... I haven't seen it burrow yet like is mentioned in the threads though...I have enough little crevices between the sand and rock. I have witnessed just today that it is dragging stuff to the opening as if the build a house...Cool!!!!...it eats all types of foods...Brine, pellets, flake, shrimp cut up. When I bought it, they were kept in CC substrate...When I bruought it home and introduced it to it's new home, it started sifting the sand immediately and was not shy at all...Watches every move you make...In my book, if you do not have one, get one....Give it lots of little rubble to play with though..

Tags
goby, yellow watchman goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com