Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
ask a LFS if he has a "extra" UV light to try... tell him if it works you'll buy it, if not he can have everyting in the tank...

XXFirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Woah, thats a great idea.... well I mean it will make that lfs owner really want to loan out that UV sterilizer... well I hope everything works out.

maxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
I had hair algae on my pond and very green water and adding a UV sterilizer cleared it up very quickly. I would say it is worth a try. If all else fails you can sell that when you sell the rest of the SW-essentials that won't go FW with you. Good luck.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would really hate to see you give up on SW. Especially with what you have invested. If the hair algea is too much for you , start over. You would be starting over with FW anyways, why not stick with SW? Honestly, it sounds like you are doing everything right and I have no explaination for the hair algea. Maybe starting over would help. Using what you have now learned from the being may be the key.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:35 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
just keep at it! the harder you work at it the more satisfaction you will have when
it all comes together.

the hair algea could be from a million diff things.

I had a tank that I fought with for over a year to try to get rid of the hair algae.

The hard part for me was that I had two other tanks that used the same water lights food, etc. and they had no algae problems at all. I tried everything.
then one day I was at the LFS and overheard someone talking about lava rock releasing minerals in the water. I remembered that I used some old lava rock from
an old FW tank as base rock.

I raced home and pulled the rock out. I was desperate for an answer. low and behold two weeks later no more hair algae.
NewInTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:53 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
Actually a u/v sterilizer isnt a huge purchase. An 18 watt turbo-twist will run about $140 shipped. I went with the bigger one because I keep it at about 100GPH and it kills algae,bacteria and parasites. You can get a smaller 9watt for $79.
I started running mine temporarily on my 38 gallon, which was cloudy. The water is crystal clear in 1 day! You may want to buy one anyway for the FW tank. Alot of fish in the pet stores have diseases, parasites and other problems. A good QT tank and a U/v sterilizer on your main tank will help. So if you do buy one for your SW tank for one last try and if it doesn't work you'll have it for the FW tank. I dont believe they are a waste of time.
38 Gal Freshwater - Livebearer
Whisper 5 HOB
UGF w/ 2 reverse flow Aquaclr 402 powerheads
Turbo-Twist 6x UV sterilizer 18W bulb
18 Watt Triton bulb

10 Gal Freshwater QT tank
3 Gal Fry tank

90 Gal Saltwater tank(coming soon)
cougaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:04 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular
it says that snail (page 1) is for cold water only....less than 74
TXclownin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:38 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
take the rocks out.

get a wire brush and scrub the hair algae off of them.

put them back in the tank.

get a UV sterilizer.

Load the tank with life.

I watched a tank that was cycling and almost totally green turn to crystal clear when the guy turned his uv on and scrapped the big tufts of hair algae off his rocks.......
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:59 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey thanks!

Thanks for all the replies! This site rocks.
I am sticking with it for at least a little while longer.

I went to a different LFS than my usual one last night and it got me inspired. (they have sharks! I mean, like 4 foot sharks! Cool!) They also had a beautiful FW Cichlid tank that got me inspired to go that way...

Anyway, I went there to get some carbon and an air stone to boost my CPR Bakpak skimmer. After adding the stone it's definitely pulling more out of the tank. While I was there, I asked the guy for any pointers on hair algae. He suggested sea urchins. I said to myself, this guy is full of it, I've never heard that before! Stupid LFS guys...

So, I got home and put the two new urchins in my tank and they seem to be doing their thing. I don't know if they really will eat the stuff or not, but if so, they have their work cut out for them!

He suggested killing the lights completely (I have no corals) and he also suggested a MAJOR water change. We're talking, replacing all the water in the tank. Taking everybody out. Changing all the water, scrubbing the rocks and putting in all new water. So, I think I might be doing that in the near future. If that does not work, I'll say scr** it, and get an oscar or something.

I'll let you know what happens.

"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly." -Batman Costume warning label
Mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com