Thinking Of Going Skimmerless!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have used 3 different skimmers for my 50 gallon and the micro bubble issue is annoying. Currently using a Aquamaxx Hob-1 and have used it for 3 months and it's still pumping out microbubbles. I put filter socks on the outlet as well as sponges from the hagen prefilter sponge but that made the skimmer back up and leak on the floor. I'm on the third floor in my apartment, so I'm sumpless. So I'm forced to use a canister filter with a surface skimmer, stuffed with Chemipur and RowaPhos and it's cleaned every week. In a aquarium this small, would water changes every week be enough or is a skimmer a must in only a 50 gallon.

I think you'd be ok IF your good with your up keep and water changes weekly. I have a bio cube 29 and don't run a skimmer and have been fine without it. I do 5 gallon water changes weekly.

Some will say you need one on that size BUT I think you'll be fine.

Just test and keep an eye on things. If things start to change then add or plug the skimmer back in.

Check out an eshopps psk75h skimmer. They are cheap and I've used one on my 47g tank for the last 8 months and have had no issues with micro bubbles. It's also a pretty good skimmer. Find one used somewhere.
Also if your lightly stocked I'm sure you could get by without a skimmer, but any little thing you can do to remove waste helps.

I have used 3 different skimmers for my 50 gallon and the micro bubble issue is annoying. Currently using a Aquamaxx Hob-1 and have used it for 3 months and it's still pumping out microbubbles. I put filter socks on the outlet as well as sponges from the hagen prefilter sponge but that made the skimmer back up and leak on the floor. I'm on the third floor in my apartment, so I'm sumpless. So I'm forced to use a canister filter with a surface skimmer, stuffed with Chemipur and RowaPhos and it's cleaned every week. In a aquarium this small, would water changes every week be enough or is a skimmer a must in only a 50 gallon.

Solely depends on stock another thing to remember is skimmers add oxygen to tank without a sump tho your gonna have microbubbles is there not enough room for a sump because with one you could also run macroalgae

I know it is possible to keep up with a 50g without a skimmer, and I'm pretty new to saltwater, but I honestly think that it would be a pretty huge burden. I am skimmer less on my 2 tanks (30g puffer FOWLR and 10g nano reef start up), but it takes a ton of balancing chemistry of the tank and maintenance up the wazoo... Then again, nanos are notoriously fluctuating, and both my tanks are considered nano

Skimmer less on my bio cube 29

Stock:

2 clowns
2 cardinals
1 goby
1 6 line
1 harlequin
1 hawkish
1 pistol shrimp

Numerous shrimp, snails and hermits.

Weekly 5g water changes and I change the poly floss 2x's a week.

Running chemi pure elite, purigen and phosguard.

image-1263798362.jpg

Just curious why you can't use a sump? a 10g or even 20g sump isn't going to add that much more weight to the stand/system. You don't have to run it full either. If possible, I'd go with a 20g sump, move the skimmer down to the sump, add a couple baffles for a bubble trap, and you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom