Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2014, 02:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thinking of going skimmerless. Thoughts?

I know Im going to get flamed for this post from all the high end reefers. I have a small 50 gallon with just Lps and zoas and a pair of clowns. I have a Eshopps psk 100-h skimmer. It pulls out stuff sometimes but it seems to hinder my coral growth (that might sound crazy). When I had it off for 3 weeks cause the pump broke, my torch, frogspawn and Gsp came out more. Once I added it back my Blue Polyp Digitata turned brown and my torch and others have not fully extended at all. Since it's only a 50 gallon would water changes be better than the skimmer?

Old 04-23-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those corals needs nutrients. As long as your phosphate doesn't go higher than 0.05 it's ok to turn skimmer off. I am having same problem as well and I turned off my skimmer on my 28 gal nano since last week. No sign of recovery on my zoas yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A skimmer won't hurt things. In tanks under 30 gallons, I recommend not running a skimmer with how easy it is to do water changes to address issues. My skimmer will skim here and there. If there is nothing to remove, then it can't skim.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

50 gallons with 2 clowns, I'd say you could stop skimming but I dont know why you would. Some people feel with enough rock and waterchanges you don't need other filtration at all. My 55 has a HOB skimmer that I run quite dry and I pull out a cup of gunk every 5 days or so. I have 6 fish though. I'd want to think that if some coral isn't extending it's due to something else other than clean water...
Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #5

I am tossing this around myself, I am setting up a 30 gal reef for my first as tank I am getting a skimmer but will I need to use it all the time or

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Op your fish load is super low so the skimmer may not be necessary. But I disagree it is harming your corals.
Ravden- it will depend on your fish load and wc schedule IMO.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
A skimmer won't hurt things. In tanks under 30 gallons, I recommend not running a skimmer with how easy it is to do water changes to address issues. My skimmer will skim here and there. If there is nothing to remove, then it can't skim.
It does make sense on less than 30 gal tank. My mistake is I added phosphate remover filter that it went down to 0. Im now raising it up by not using a skimmer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #8

@bribo I should be starting up by end of may so I'm a ways off but ideally is a clown or 2 a green clown goby and thinking one of the dwarf fire Angels

Old 04-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'd drop the angel and replace it with another fish. A flame in a 30 is asking for problems. With that bioload you probably won't need a skimmer but it wouldn't hurt. I have 4 fish in a 20 and run an eshopps psk75h that pulls out a surprising amount of gunk. I also do 25% weekly wc.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #10

Darn I like that fish too but I don't want aggressive tank mates not sure if I want a single or pair of clown I know I gotta get them together if I do. For filtering I bought a aquatop w/uv sterilizer and prison skimmer my power head will be in this week as will my lights but lfs will hold light till I get it (she had an incredible discount this week from suppliers) so just ordered it to hold for me saving almost 60% on one I wantes

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com