Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Next best thing is a hob skimmer. There are still CPR rejects avail for around $50-60 on eBay I saw while looking for fuge. That and a simple breeder tank that hangs inside for cheato might work. First thing tho is the skimmer. Very important I think.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:22 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsanders757 View Post
Can't do a sump no room
Why not get small nano tank? All the filters, skimmers and heater are hidden at the back.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Why not get small nano tank? All the filters, skimmers and heater are hidden at the back.
Where I have the 30g it has no room around it for another tank
Old 05-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsanders757 View Post
Where I have the 30g it has no room around it for another tank
Cant you put a 10-15g tank in the bottom of the stand?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Although a sump is always best for a saltwater setup, there are other things you can do for those locations where it is not possible. First is the skimmer. That will skim out the poop and lots of the nitrogenous waste keeping your nitrate levels low. But, if they do start to rise, thee are a couple things you can do to lower nitrates (keep these ideas in your back pocket);
1. Vodka dosing. If your drunk enough you won't care about nitrate levels. No, seriously, a very small amount of methanol (vodka) in the tank daily will help the skimmer remove nitrogenous waste with longer protein strings. I ended up dosing less than 1ml per day to reduce nitrates in my 30g.
2. Nitrate Destroyer. This bottled bacteria eat nitrate. Unfortunately they cannot establish themselves in an oxygen rich tank environment and have to be added daily. I was also using this at about 3ml per day. Also requires a skimmer for this to work.
3. HOB filter. Running a filter with resins or other nitrate filter packs. Or you can take all the filters out of it and put chaeto in there with a light shining in. I tried this and it worked some, but not great. Depends on the filter as well.

So running a large nano without a sump can be done, but you may have to tweak it a bit to find what works best for what you have available. There are some things that will prefer the dirty water that comes with higher nitrates in a sumpless system (higher being anything over about 5ppm). My large feather duster lived happily even when my trates were up to 80ppm. he died when I moved him to a tank with 0 trates.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a ton of info Ingy. I will try dosing vodka and just hope my fish don't get drunk lol
Old 05-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Although a sump is always best for a saltwater setup, there are other things you can do for those locations where it is not possible. First is the skimmer. That will skim out the poop and lots of the nitrogenous waste keeping your nitrate levels low. But, if they do start to rise, thee are a couple things you can do to lower nitrates (keep these ideas in your back pocket);
1. Vodka dosing. If your drunk enough you won't care about nitrate levels. No, seriously, a very small amount of methanol (vodka) in the tank daily will help the skimmer remove nitrogenous waste with longer protein strings. I ended up dosing less than 1ml per day to reduce nitrates in my 30g.
2. Nitrate Destroyer. This bottled bacteria eat nitrate. Unfortunately they cannot establish themselves in an oxygen rich tank environment and have to be added daily. I was also using this at about 3ml per day. Also requires a skimmer for this to work.
3. HOB filter. Running a filter with resins or other nitrate filter packs. Or you can take all the filters out of it and put chaeto in there with a light shining in. I tried this and it worked some, but not great. Depends on the filter as well.

So running a large nano without a sump can be done, but you may have to tweak it a bit to find what works best for what you have available. There are some things that will prefer the dirty water that comes with higher nitrates in a sumpless system (higher being anything over about 5ppm). My large feather duster lived happily even when my trates were up to 80ppm. he died when I moved him to a tank with 0 trates.
Holy crap tons of helpful info ill def be using.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

What's a good reef safe stock list for a 30g, invert and corals included. Already have a yellow clown goby.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats like asking "what colour should I paint my room?" There are so many opinions and personal preferences out there. I woould recommend going to Liveaquaria and checking out their selection for ideas. then ask about specific stocking ideas. Blennies, Clowns, chromis, cardinals, and that's just the start of the alphabet.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
thats like asking "what colour should I paint my room?" There are so many opinions and personal preferences out there. I woould recommend going to Liveaquaria and checking out their selection for ideas. then ask about specific stocking ideas. Blennies, Clowns, chromis, cardinals, and that's just the start of the alphabet.
I know just want a some opinion from here.
Personally I want two black saddle back clowns, some sexy shrimp and an army of different zoas.

Tags
10 gallon, 30 gallon, reef, upgrading

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com