Thinking urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
Thinking about getting a urchin. Does anybody have a preference or any experience. I dont have any algea for them to eat except maybe some dry seaweed. Any ideas?

melosu58 said:
Thinking about getting a urchin. Does anybody have a preference or any experience. I dont have any algea for them to eat except maybe some dry seaweed. Any ideas?

Assume you have coraline? I have a black longspine. I would stay away from pencil or pincushion as they are more likely to disrtub rock work and the pin cushion can strip down the coraline pretty quick.

HTH,

I have a Pincushion Urchin, Blue Tuxedo (Mespilia globulus) from liveaquaria.com. Makes a interesting addition and a fair alge cleaner. Has been known to pickup zoos.

I also have a black/purple pincushion. Nasty little bugger.

Eats bad algaes and what not, but also strips the rocks clean of everything. Nice coralline and green algaes last three seconds with that thing. Also pokes into soft corals a lot.

I have had one black and one brown urchin since July and they seem to be doing well. I don't see them too often then tho, as they are behind the rocks most of the time.

Funny thing when I first place them on the bottom of the tank, they were following each other for a while and then went their seperate ways.

:)

I have two purple urchins that I acquired with my liverock. It loves munching on my coraling, will not touch hair algae, and is a real nuisance with knocking over corals and munching on the leather corals I (tried) to keep in the tank. I can only vouch for the purples, as that is all I've owned. They are great grazers though, althought mine won't touch hair algae.

I really would not Mel. I know some like them but most that I talk to have more complaints. I think Austins Dad got one so you may want to check with him as well.

I have a pencil. Love him! He dose, very rarely move rock, as he wedges inbetween. I also have a pincushion, they both munch corraline, but if you have a stable tank, it will grow back quickly. I would warn, the pincushion will grab stuff and carry it around. This has been the casue of a few of my snails deaths. There are a few pics of my pincushion "giving tours" to various critters and my old hydro, in my gallery. For that reason, I was going to look into long spined ones, I am not 100% sure, but I don't think they carry anything around, like the pincushion. Long spined are venemous, I beleive, so be careful, if you go that route. I love the little things!

I love mine...wouldnt trade them for anything. I have them in my reeftank too.

I have 2 rock boring urchins that i have had since they had about 4 spines each(came on LR). They take care of all the rocks and play safe with my takemates and they clean the glass as well. I think it's time to find a home for the second one though, I don't think my reef is large enough to support two of them. Great water quality indicator creatures :)

Back
Top Bottom