this is interesting....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was in a couple of major fish stores this past week (Not Petco or Petsmart) but ones that specialize in marine fish....they said when they get fish in, they immediately put about 10-15 gallons of water in a bucket from one of their tanks, drop in about half a bottle of Formalin (hope I spelled this right) and left the fish in there for approx 5-10 minutes to kill any parasites on them...then they simply dip the fish out and put them in the tank. I heard this from 2 just this past week so I have begun asking other fish stores if they do this and they said yes as well....BUT they were reluctant to tell me that MOST if not all fish stores do this and it really works...I asked if this would take care of ick and they said 99% of the time....Anyone else try this?? I did this not to long ago and so far so good....what does everyone this about this?

Formalin is a component of Rid Ich. This is used to take care of ich. I only deal with FW, but I guess it works with SW.
drop in about half a bottle of Formalin
Half a bottle?? Did they tell you the concentration?

and if you notice the lack of acclimation time....I will just state that when a fish store loses livestock, it is a tax write-off, when you lose livestock, you lose hard earned money.

The acclimation time is totally seperate....I still acclimate the fish over a period of an hour or so...but I also put the formalin in towards the end of the acclimation period...
and yes I thought the same with regards to the concentration...I thought a 1/2 of bottle was too much as well but 3 out of 3 fish shops said they use at least half a bottle in 10-15 gallons of water

The acclimation time is totally seperate....I still acclimate the fish over a period of an hour or so...but I also put the formalin in towards the end of the acclimation period...
and yes I thought the same with regards to the concentration...I thought a 1/2 of bottle was too much as well but 3 out of 3 fish shops said they use at least half a bottle in 10-15 gallons of water

Back
Top Bottom