This is my last go at BTAs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the other 2 have less nerve cells and so just being dumber than the octopus.

Jeff.. Mr X has been on AA for a long time and he knows what he is talking about. Seems you are over simplifying things, giving nems human like characteristics of getting bored.. im sure each nem can be a little different, but theyre not going to move unless something is wrong.. ie flow, water quality, light, predators, stinging corals, fish trying to host, etc.

What I am saying is that these invertebrate have no brains as we know of, but their nerve cells acts as their brain to make decisions and move around. Here is a quote from an article below.

"Sea anemones have no central brain, but a simple network of nerves in the body wall communicates between different parts of the anemone's body."

This is how octopus makes use of their nerve cells as well but are far smarter than anemone.
http://www.waquarium.org/_library/images/education/marinelifeprofiles/seaanemones0909.pdf

Another quote from an interesting article below.

"Anything the sea anemone has that also is found in humans, flies, snails or any other eumetazoans must already have been present in the common ancestor of eumetazoans,"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070705153000.htm

I also turned down the whites on my LEDs but about 10%. It has definitely moved up back beer the top of my rock scape. I turned them down 2 days ago and I'm already seeing the corals look better too.

Jeff.. Mr X has been on AA for a long time and he knows what he is talking about. Seems you are over simplifying things, giving nems human like characteristics of getting bored.. im sure each nem can be a little different, but theyre not going to move unless something is wrong.. ie flow, water quality, light, predators, stinging corals, fish trying to host, etc.

I said they get bored but you're right my tank is a failure. It was a reference not to be taken literal. The tank has been up for a while with that nem and all I'm saying is nothing in my tank changes to cause it to move. My nem is smarter than yours don't be mad :) I'm just kidding around there was no need for an argument. This is what makes people quit reading forums though. A main reason I left my last one. Everything was a competition for correct answers. I haven't nor has anyone else been an anemone I don't imagine. They do things for reasons unknown. Lets get back to the reason for this thread. OP you have the floor now.

Jake how stable is your temp and what is your setting? It was cooler during the last 3 months when it stayed on the same spot. Now it is getting hotter. I would set heater close to day time temp so that at night it will not swing that much.

^ that and adjusting the lights are good reasons for the movement.. keep things stable a while and it will stick some where that its happy. Just be careful that it doesn't wander near a power head or the overflow and dont force him to move.. if you try to pry him off a rock you can damage its foot which is often fatal.

Jake how stable is your temp and what is your setting? It was cooler during the last 3 months when it stayed on the same spot. Now it is getting hotter. I would set heater close to day time temp so that at night it will not swing that much.

Well Jeff, my temperature stays between 78-80 pretty much year round. I live in Florida so I only run a heater in winter for about A few weeks when it gets cold here

^ that and adjusting the lights are good reasons for the movement.. keep things stable a while and it will stick some where that its happy. Just be careful that it doesn't wander near a power head or the overflow and dont force him to move.. if you try to pry him off a rock you can damage its foot which is often fatal.

That is why I named the thread last go at RBTA. The first guy ended up in a power head at night. So I got this one and it was fine for awhile. My tank stays pretty stable with everything. I think it comes down to my lights, I really haven't found a happy medium to keep them at. So like I said I just recently lowered them a bit and he has been in the same area for the past 3-4 days.

Thats how I lost the last one and learned a 4 bulb t5 wasn't enough light I dont think. Ive since upgraded.

This is just an expensive hobby to make mistakes lol

Since it moves at night when the light is out, I would suspect it's the temp. I would not turn off heater since you'll never know how cool it would be at night specially when no light is on. Heater has a thermostat and it will not go higher than desired setting. I would set it midway which is 79 deg. What is the brand of heater and wattage?

This is what makes people quit reading forums though. A main reason I left my last one. Everything was a competition for correct answers.
You aren't going to find a forum that is void of human nature. If you don't want people's input, then maybe an online forum isn't the best place. Perhaps a book might suit you better. That way, if you don't like what it says, you can just tear a page or two out. lol.
Anyway, sarcastic humor aside, I believe there is good information in this thread.

I don't think it's the lighting though, because generally, they (anemones) shrivel up and duck into the rock work or some dark overhang when abnormally strong light is present. I don't see them letting go and blowing around much. How is everything else fairing? What else is in the tank that is now looking better since you toned down the lights?
Which fixture are we talking about?

You aren't going to find a forum that is void of human nature. If you don't want people's input, then maybe an online forum isn't the best place. Perhaps a book might suit you better. That way, if you don't like what it says, you can just tear a page or two out. lol.
Anyway, sarcastic humor aside, I believe there is good information in this thread.

I don't think it's the lighting though, because generally, they (anemones) shrivel up and duck into the rock work or some dark overhang when abnormally strong light is present. I don't see them letting go and blowing around much. How is everything else fairing? What else is in the tank that is now looking better since you toned down the lights?
Which fixture are we talking about?

Ok, I'm done sharing my experience with anyone else. Thanks

I had similar problem before with my 1st anemone. It will never stay put. I just kept on shuffling and replacing the ph with the right combination and enough flow then added 4 T5HO to supplement the Marineland Reef Capable LED. That's when it finally settled down to a spot with moderate flow and enough light. My 2nd anemone just stayed on the same spot where I dropped it.

Back
Top Bottom