This play sand thing...help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok guys. Im about to start a new 100 SW tank and want to do sand this time. I DONT want to pay $25 for a small bag of LS. AND I dont have any way to get the Southdown or Old Castle sand....whats the next suggestion? I need any and all smart suggestions...I really need to locate something. Its going to be a reef eventually so keep this in mind. I dont want any major problems down the line either so with these 2 things, whats your suggestion!! Thanks

fishman said:
Ok guys. Im about to start a new 100 SW tank and want to do sand this time. I DONT want to pay $25 for a small bag of LS. AND I dont have any way to get the Southdown or Old Castle sand....whats the next suggestion? I need any and all smart suggestions...I really need to locate something. Its going to be a reef eventually so keep this in mind. I dont want any major problems down the line either so with these 2 things, whats your suggestion!! Thanks

Why can't you get the playsand from HD? They have plenty of locations throughout Texas. What part of the state are you in?

Any major hardware store will carry playsand. Walmart and Kmart will carry playsand. It doesn't have to be any particular brand as long as it's playsand and not construction grade.

Most "play" sand is silica sand. Most people look for old castle, etc. because it is aragonite sand and will give you better buffering capabilities.

I have read that you can use silica sand as long as it is 100% silica but some silica has feldspar and other not so good ingredients. These can be harmful to sand critters due to the particles being sharp.

I am not saying you can't use it because seems like some do but most will try to find those particular brands.

I spent the extra money whan I did my and got it at the LFS. $22 for a 30lb bag sucked but I could not find anything better. I only have a 75 gal so it did not hurt real bad :)

HTH

Well I had thought you could use regular play sand from one of the local stores too but from what I have read, reg play sand will promote algea. Plus like ellisz said, I had heard the same thing about reg play sand not being good for critters.
SO how many people have used just regular play sand and where did you get it from? Whats the name of it? Just playsand?? If others have used it I would like to know. Maybe Im just being to paranoid..
Thanks

I and many others use quickrete (or similar, can't remember the exact spelling). Same company that makes 60lb bags of cement mix in hardware stores and have had 0 problems with it. My algae problems are no greater and no less than any tank I've seen with any substrate. I'm not trying to disuade anyone from any particular brand or type of sand, but if you can't find what you're looking for, there are alternatives that will work. My personal budget won't allow me to spend $100+ at my lfs on sand alone.

Sand

Well I dont want to afford the high price at the local fish store either. i may chk out the sand you have....you say its quickrete?? I think that is a very popular brand name amoung concrete for sure.
Is there anyone else that uses this or any other brand in their tank? I also might get 1 bag from a LFS and put it in with the off brand as i would call it....

The Old Castle, Southdown sand is much whiter from what I understand. That alone is keeping me from buying quickrete, or some other brand. :wink:

PS. I cant find any either.

Yes I sure wish I could get my hands on some sand that will work...period!! I would be happy with this. Im just paranoid to put anything other than LS in my tank!

This may not satisfy you. But I have a 65 gal tank that I filled with 1 bag of quickrete playsand and then topped it off with crushed coral. The sand id a brownish color but when topped with the coral you can't see it. I hope the critters just don't dig moe thatn about 1 in. deep.

Well I had thought you could use regular play sand from one of the local stores too but from what I have read, reg play sand will promote algea.
This is a common misconception. silicaTES inthe water column promote algae growth. silica based sand does not.

The comments on argonite based sand acting as a Ph buffer are correct, silica sand will not provide you with the buffering capabilities that a calcium carbonate based substrate will (such as CC or argonite sand)

I highly caution AGAINST the use of NON-playsand-sand such as Quickrete cement mix sands. In the US, "Play Sand" must be cleaned of contaminants and sterilized before it can be marketed as "Play Sand". Cement mix sands do not and can often have many things you do not want in your tanks chemistry.

If the sand you're considering is marked with "sterilized play sand" it should be "safe" for your tank. But, as you already know, argonite sand is much prefered.

on a side note: where in TX are you located? close to a coast line anywhere? Some areas allow a limited amount of sand to be taken for "personal use". if thats an option, research local laws and get yourself a few buckets.

I have heard that sand from the beach front is not good. If you think about what a protein skimmer does in your tank, it replicates the ocean, the foam that comes up with the waves. Where does that foam settle? In the sand on the beach front. What do you all think about this? :wink:

I live in the Dallas TX area and yes I COULD drive to houston but have no reason to drive that far. I might as well just buy some sand from the LFS. Im just determined to get some sand at a reasonable cost. Just makes me upset that my area does not carry the old castle or southdown but other areas do...AND they will not order any for me is what is weird. Oh well,,,,what are ya to do???
Anyway thanks for all the info. Any and all is appreciated.

revhtree: agreed, if you're collecting from a beach, it is recommended that you go out into the water as far as you can (and is safe). i would even go during low tide if you could time your trip right.

fishman: yea, i understand. for somereasn there doesn't seem to be nearly as many distributers of the old castle/southdown sand in the western have of the states. There's only one manufacturer. The shipping would be aweful, but you could find someone willing to ship it to you from the east coast.

Ya the proofs in the pudding so to speak...err...in the sand. I have heard that many places that get the LS go to nearly 120ft deep. I dont know how true this but I thought I would share. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom