Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2004, 11:32 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Well I had thought you could use regular play sand from one of the local stores too but from what I have read, reg play sand will promote algea.
This is a common misconception. silicaTES inthe water column promote algae growth. silica based sand does not.

The comments on argonite based sand acting as a Ph buffer are correct, silica sand will not provide you with the buffering capabilities that a calcium carbonate based substrate will (such as CC or argonite sand)

I highly caution AGAINST the use of NON-playsand-sand such as Quickrete cement mix sands. In the US, "Play Sand" must be cleaned of contaminants and sterilized before it can be marketed as "Play Sand". Cement mix sands do not and can often have many things you do not want in your tanks chemistry.

If the sand you're considering is marked with "sterilized play sand" it should be "safe" for your tank. But, as you already know, argonite sand is much prefered.

on a side note: where in TX are you located? close to a coast line anywhere? Some areas allow a limited amount of sand to be taken for "personal use". if thats an option, research local laws and get yourself a few buckets.

Old 06-17-2004, 12:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have heard that sand from the beach front is not good. If you think about what a protein skimmer does in your tank, it replicates the ocean, the foam that comes up with the waves. Where does that foam settle? In the sand on the beach front. What do you all think about this?

Old 06-17-2004, 12:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
I live in the Dallas TX area and yes I COULD drive to houston but have no reason to drive that far. I might as well just buy some sand from the LFS. Im just determined to get some sand at a reasonable cost. Just makes me upset that my area does not carry the old castle or southdown but other areas do...AND they will not order any for me is what is weird. Oh well,,,,what are ya to do???
Anyway thanks for all the info. Any and all is appreciated.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:36 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

revhtree: agreed, if you're collecting from a beach, it is recommended that you go out into the water as far as you can (and is safe). i would even go during low tide if you could time your trip right.

fishman: yea, i understand. for somereasn there doesn't seem to be nearly as many distributers of the old castle/southdown sand in the western have of the states. There's only one manufacturer. The shipping would be aweful, but you could find someone willing to ship it to you from the east coast.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:03 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Revhtree posted this GREAT link in another thread, I thought it would be helpful here:

http://www.inlandreef.com/Testing/SandPhotos.html

shows clearly and exactly what we've discussed here about the differences between the sands.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya the proofs in the pudding so to speak...err...in the sand. I have heard that many places that get the LS go to nearly 120ft deep. I dont know how true this but I thought I would share.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com