THis starfish bad for my clam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got 2 of these guys on my clam when I brought the clam home...
One went off on it's own the other like to hang out on the side of the clam... Here is a pic..
badstar.jpg

Talked to the LFS where I got him. Theres a bunch of these stars in his show coral tank... Where he keeps the clams for sale. So he said dont' worry about it. If he's got em in his coral and clam tank then I'm not worried about it.

Check out the GARF website to make sure that its not one of those starfish that they claim eats corals...

I think they are pretty harmless unless you have zoos. I believe that these stars (that constantly loose arms) might be a reason why reefers who kep zoanthids are noticing that their zoo colonies are closing & slowly dieing.

pecan2phat said:
I think they are pretty harmless unless you have zoos. I believe that these stars (that constantly loose arms) might be a reason why reefers who kep zoanthids are noticing that their zoo colonies are closing & slowly dieing.

REALLY?
Ok then they are coming out then !
DAM, I kinda liked em...

I read on RC about someone asking about those type of stars. Whether they harm the zoos, I'm not 100% sure. I have found them on my zoos more then a few times and I knocked them off. The zoos underneath them were closed but I could not tell yet if they actually caused them harm. I'll keep checking & observing. I have a bunch of those stars in my reef tank.

Back
Top Bottom