Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2003, 05:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Those of you with web sites...

Those of you who may have web sites where you created your own site name (ex: www. joesaquarium.com) how did you do it. I know you can purchase your own domain name for a fee with some places. Is that what you did? If so what site did your do this through & how often do you pay your fee for your site, monthly/or yearly? Do you design your site yourself?

I would like to do this in the future for my aquarium site, that's why I ask.

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have my own website, and there are a few free places. Lets say your website is

FishiesRule

You can make it

http://www.fishiesrule.cjb.net (for free)
http://www.fishiesrule.tk (for free if it allows it)

what is the name of your site, I will see what I can do for you. (i need the wole link)

Old 04-04-2003, 07:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the reply. Well my current web site is

http://pages.ivillage.com/swishyfishies/

It's a site I made for our new baby.

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I have a surprise for you...

http://swimmyfishies.cjb.net

Your baby is really cute!

You can make your own name, just go to www.cjb.net and register, not really hard.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:46 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If you want a domain like www.swishyfishies.com then you would need to first visit a domain name registrar.

www.godaddy.com is the cheapest I know of at under $10.00
I use www.sausagedomains.com for this site and the other petadvice network sites. The cost with them is $14 I think.

Those costs are per year. So you can see it not that expensive to have a domain name.

Once you purchase a domain name then you have to host it some place. There are many hosting companies out there. There are plans that range from $10 a month on up depending on how much space you need and what other services you need.

This site is hosted by www.sausagehosting.com Their basic plan is $9.90 a month or $99 if paid up front for the year.

One thing that Sausage does is provide bundles. For example you can get the basic hosting package plus 1 domain name plus the current release of Hot Dog (Sausage's HTML editor) plus a t-shirt and ball cap for $148.95 year. Thats a good deal sine their basic HTML editor is $39.95 and their Pro editor is $99.95

Once you have your host you will then create your website and upload your files to your server. Once you do this then you have yourself a website. There are tons of freep places to have a website but usually they are laden heavly with banner ads or popups. If you buy yourself a domain and get a hosting package your site will be totally free of those things unless you add them yourself.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I went the free way.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

wow you guys, thank for the input.

Hey d9hp, where in North Cackalacki do you live? I was stationed in Fayetteville ( Pope AFB) for 3 yrs. 98-2000 I bet it's getting nice there now.

Old 04-04-2003, 11:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I live Greensboro by golly North Cackerlackier. Fayetteveille is a nice place, but everything is getting big. Stationed, sounds like you served in the Army, or Marines or something.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was in the Air Force, I was a cop. Ok I know where Greensboro is if I remember correctly. Doesn't I-40 go through Greensboro, or is it Greenville. I had to drive through there when I'd go home. I'm originally from east Tennessee. About half an hr accross the state line from Asheville. I'd give anything to get to go to Myrtle Beach for once again. Montana sucks!

Old 04-05-2003, 01:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea, 40 goes through here. MB is great! I go there about 6 times a year.

Tags
hose

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com