Thought about trying......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquishyFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay...I have been considering trying an anemone again. Last time I did was several years ago and I was not aware of their lighting requirements. Now I have (2) 175m/h and (2) 110 actinic VHO's. This is on a 175 gallon tank. Those of you who have successfully kept anemones (minimum of 1 year) what are your feelings about my systems ability to keep Nem's? FYI, I will be upgrading the lighting to (3) 400watt m/h in the next few months.

Also...What is the likely hood of it taking out other corals? The tank is pretty loaded with LPS, and softies...a few sps frags.
Thanks,

Squishy

I"m no expert as I recently decided that I wasn't ready for an anenome however I do know Steve-S has great success with the few he has. I've read that initial placement is key if you don't want them to wonder around. I think you would be best trying to figure out where it would be happiest in terms of flow and lighting and place it there keeping a watchful eye in case it does decide to wonder.

I humbly suggest you only consider a tank raised Bubble tip.
Anemones have an incredibly long life in the wild and a pitifully short one in captivity for a number of reasons - regardless of tank conditions.

SquishyFish said:
What made you decide that you werent ready?

I began reading into them and it seems that for some reason they have a rather poor life expectancey in home aquariums. I was also very worried about it wondering the tank and killing the few corals I have. I just decided I better wait until I have time to read up on them more. I plan on getting one someday just not yet :D

On another note when I posted a few question about getting one, most people did recommend a TR bubble tip as a good "begginer" anemone.

I was aware of the life span difference, and yes..I agree with both of you that TR is the way to go if possible.

What about my lights? Do you think they will support the Nem?

Question from an ignorant anemone want to have. Will perc clowns take to the TR bubble tip? Also would a Mac Angel pick at them?
Thanks!

Perculas will take to a LT as well as Clarkii's. That's my experience.

Your 175W MH will probably be sufficient, depends how deep your water is.
Finding a healthy specimen is quite difficult. The closer you live to a major importer the better. LFS's generally don't care for them properly. The one's around here leave several in a bare tank, floating around waitng for some poor sucker to buy one and let it finish dying in his tank.
If you can get a tank raised (cloned) bubble tip you are way ahead of the game. If you can provide an ideal environment and get it to split it will pay for itself.

Thanks no hurry here, but would love to have 1 or 2 of them. We have 4 perc clowns, maybe 2 anemones would be better. Just want to make sure my angel won't pick at them and kill them.
The aquarium is 30 " deep, I probably should get some better lighting as well.
Thanks for the help.

If you can buy a rose bulb anemone that has split off of a successful aquarist anemone, thats the way to go. One of the most awesome anemones and very hardy when TR. You will pay for it though.

Yep...that have two at my LFS (in very dim lighting..less than a shroom would live in) :evil: ...anyway. They are tennis ball size and they are 129.00.

Back
Top Bottom