Thoughts on a 92 gal corner FO tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meola

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have the opportunity to obtain a 92 gal drilled corner tank with sump and skimmer.

I currently have a 125 reef tank loaded with corals and reef friendly tankmates. So I understand the mechanics of cleanup and maintenance.

This 92 gal would be a fish only tank - looking at puffer, lion, trigger, eel

My question is what/who cleans up this FO tank?

All these fish are aggressive and would eat any cleaners. With my reef tank I let the coralline grow on the back and I keep the sides and front clean with a mag. My huge cleanup crew - hermits, 5 varieties of snail, sand-sifters, blennies, wrasses, cbs - takes care of a debris.

I know I would need to keep the glass clean, but what handles the debris? Would it need siphoned or weekly large water changes?

I currently enjoy the maintenance on my 125gal, its not alot and gives me time to relax and enjoy - more than doubling the effort may become too much like "work" I am afraid.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Keep one thing in mind...while 92gal seems like a lot, there is actually very little good swimming room so your fish selection will be a bit limited. If you decide to go with a FO tank, I would suggest using LS as a substrate and adding as much biological filtration as possible in the form of LR (I know, I know...it just became a FOWLR). With non-invert friendly fish you are the cleaning crew. Any chance to you have to keep NO3 in check is something I would look into.

With the 92, as brian suggested leaves very little room for swimming, Given that you could probably do an eel/lionfish tank. IMO there is no such thing as FO anymore..you need LR..

In my current 125 setup I used crushed coral - but I would definitely go with sand this time around.

I figured the live rock would come into it - and that doesnt bother me, except dollar wise, because I enjoy picking out nice pieces and creating a realistic scene. I have 3 decent shops around me that gets in some interesting chunks of Marshall and Fiji

So included in my tank mates selection maybe a tang? to control algae outbreaks?

a good cleaner suggestion would be great - and thanks for the responses btw - since I have found this site I have avoided many mistakes and learned a ton

My 2 inch puffer ate an arrow crab that was 6" in diameter, and it could hold it's own. Here is a cool list:
Volitan lion
sfe
yellow tang
Trigger if you take out the lion
Maybe some snails if you don't get the trigger.

Well I got the tank. 92 gal corner with drilled returns and skimmer, sump and stand

My concerns are still with the cleanup of the tank - the sand bed needing sifted and such. I will keep doing my research -

If you go with what Konrade suggested, keeping the lion and no trigger, you could go ahead with plenty of Nassarius snails, they always move the sand around and keep your tank clean.

The snowflake eels don't usually go after snails unless maybe they're on their backs or you haven't fed the eel to his liking. Other than that, I think that the nass snails would be pretty much the solution for a clean up crew that also helps out with your sand.

yeah - thats a good deal on those snails - I got 50 a few weeks ago

If I go with the live rock, do I also need all live sand or can I mix?

Thanks again for the suggestions - gonna figure on lion, eel, yellow tang and one more - any suggestions?

lion, eel and yellow will max you out..eel and lion big waste producers..

go witht he live rock and some play sand.. make sure to do the vinegar test.. your sand will become live after a while as the good bacteria and tiny creatures from your live rock seed it..

Back
Top Bottom