Thoughts on canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan5

Aquarium Advice Regular
Currently have a 50 gallon fish only tank and only am using a bak pak bio filter I was thinking about getting a canister filter also to help keep my tank clean. I was planning on turning it into a reef tank soon also and was wondering if this would be ok for corals and if this is a good way to or not? If it is what are a few brands that are good?

Currently have a 50 gallon fish only tank and only am using a bak pak bio filter I was thinking about getting a canister filter also to help keep my tank clean. I was planning on turning it into a reef tank soon also and was wondering if this would be ok for corals and if this is a good way to or not? If it is what are a few brands that are good?

No no no no no. Do not use a canister on a saltwater tank. Build a sump if you have room if not get a hob protein skimmer. There is no point to a canister filter other then collecting organics that will rot and. Ause algae blooms and poor water quality. Don't worry about mechanical filtration other then a protein skimmer they waste your time and money. A good skimmer would be a reef octopus bh1000 if you need a hang on the back. If you can have a sump get a reef octopus nwb100

CleverBs said:
No no no no no. Do not use a canister on a saltwater tank. Build a sump if you have room if not get a hob protein skimmer. There is no point to a canister filter other then collecting organics that will rot and. Ause algae blooms and poor water quality. Don't worry about mechanical filtration other then a protein skimmer they waste your time and money. A good skimmer would be a reef octopus bh1000 if you need a hang on the back. If you can have a sump get a reef octopus nwb100

Ok but I already have my bak pak so are you saying I should up grade to the octopus bh1000 and get rid of the bak pak then?

I have a fluval 305 on my reef system. I also have a hob skimmer and a lot of live rock. I clean my canister every 2 weeks by rinsing out the foam and washing the "stuff" out. I keep activated carbon in the first chamber, nitrate reducer in the second and seachems purigen in the third. My nitrates are usually at about 5. I would replace the canister with a sump if I had room under my tank but I don't so I stick with what I have. I've had this system running for a year now and all my coral is thriving. I do get some hair and other algae in my tank but I just clean it up every once in a while. Its not the best system but it will work if you keep you husbandry up and don't let the canister sit dirty for months. Cleaning it takes all of 15 minutes every couple of weeks...

I dont understand why people are so adimant about not using canister filters. If you look at it objectively, a canister is nothing more than a closed sump. You take water from the tank, run it through a series of different materials and then back to the tank. You can run a canister with rubble, purigen, carbon, pads....whatever you want.

i think the issue spoonman is the stuff that gets stuck in the foam or the biopellets if you use them is just trapped in the dark and rotting away. This would of course add to the nitrate situation everyone fights. Other than that ya got me, mine seems to work great.

I have a sump on one tank and a canister on the other. Nitrates are same on both. I just clean the canister when I do a water change. Works out since I am taking water out with the canister, then replacing with fresh saltwater. Works for me!

I do the same. Works for me too. The thing is people here want to give advice on what they feel works best and I have no doubt a sump with socks and rocks and macro algae works better than a canister but that doesn't mean there is no value in a canister.

Canister filters will work on a reef set-up, the key is to change and clean micron filters weekly, and pwc's, as above mentioned.
Is it as good as a sump... No. But it will work.
I ran a 135 tall mixed reef, on 2 Magnum 350's and a hang on skimmer, for over 6 years. With good supplemental circulation, in tank, and above maintainence.
Was it the way I wanted to go?.... No
Was it a hassle?.... Yes, but it did work
I feel removal of any large particles, with some mechanical filtration, is always advantageous.
This is that same tank 1 1/12 years after 180 upgrade... Almost 8 years and counting!!
Ps. I had 12 fish( 2 being 5" tangs) and most of the coral in 135

View attachment 89511

180 today

Back
Top Bottom