Thoughts on harlequin shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raleighfishnerd

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking at a pair of harlequin shrimp anyone with any experience with these little guys

Yeah them eating starfish is my girlfriends only prob with them but I will just feed at night when I do.

Have you ever had one? Trying to find out about compatibility with other inverts. Everything I find online says they are nonaggressive just looking for some first hand experience to see if they would be good with my other small shrimp and crabs. I know they only eat starfish just don't want them to tear everyone else in the tank to shreds.

From everything I've read and heard they should be good with a starfish a week to eat. Some will hide till they are hungry.

What kind of starfish do people usually use?

The cheapest they can get - usually chocolate chip stars. I've been considering off an on gettign one o try and control my asterina population. They aren't hurting anything per se. it's just annoying that I feel like I have to scrape the glass to get them off so things look clean. Of course, I bought a blue linkia a few weeks ago, so I'm sure one would prefer to eat that first. I've also know folks to cut off one arm at a time to feed, and keeping multiple stars in the sump and hoping it regenerates between feedings.

They're beautiful animals, but I don't think I can justify the work and expense of feeding for myself.

Back
Top Bottom