Thoughts on marine betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice ric, btw. I'm contemplating corals, but am still making noob moves on the saltwater side- things are a lot weirder on this side when you're used to fresh- I've heard rics are good for beginners- any input?

Buy it and mail it to me!!! Lol. I looked them up. Not captive bred. But if they are eating then I'd get them. I have a credit with bluezoo. I might see if I can possibly call them. Dunno if I'd have luck getting through to someone who knew though. My birthday is Wednesday so maybe i will call. :)

Well happy birthday! My LFS had them. I'm going tomorrow I'll let ya know how much. Your not that far from me. I mean a couple hours but that's not bad.

Sure you can drive it to me since you're offering!!! Haha. I'm gonna call stores when I get paid this week and see. If any have them I'm gonna go and ask them to feed while I'm there. I don't really care if its wild caught if it eats.

AbsoluteFaye said:
Holy cow! That's a nice tank!!!! I gotta see how big the marine betta is when I go tomorrow but if he's too small I'm not gonna chance it. Don't wanna feel guilty for accidentally killing a baby fish! But I'm really excited now that I see his. Also that goby is really cool!

Convict2161 said:
Yeah those boys did an amazing job. Waiting to see what Faye thought of it.

ktomminello said:
That is one absolutely beautiful tank!!!!!

Ahhh you guys are way too nice!! But thanks:)

As for the Marine Betta idea, you're tank is definitly big enough IMO! So you're good there. Now, the problem is finding one. Good job on passing up on the small one. I imagine it'd be cute as heck lol, but probably really tough to get eating. These fish are notoriously picky.

Dont worry though. With a little dedication, some wet arms (from hand feeding), and the proper feeding, it CAN be done!! Eventually they will gobble up food like i imagine Dino over here does at Thanksgiving;););)

So, what i suggest is searching for a bigger one, and making sure it'll eat at the store.

Next, get yourself some good frozen food. Mine oved mysis, until i switched to a homemade recipe. You can find that on my thread also.

Next....and the hardest part...be patient! They will hide a lot at first. A lot. Almost to the point where you start to get angry about having an invisible 60-100 dollar fish!! But patients is a virtue is it not? Eventually it will get very comfortable and be out a lot. Granted, mine only comes out for a few fleeting seconds when the lights are fully on a couple times a day, but in the evening mine is always out in about. They realy are amazing and worth it IMO.

Anyway, i suggest you get one and treat it tenderly. Eventually it will turn into something you can really be pround of!! I know i loe mine and am happy i can keep Mema alive:)

For refence, Kio and CleverB's also have bettas:) Betta clan...UNITE!! Lol!!!:) goodluck

Haha thx! The little guy at the store was eating brine shrimp but I still had to pass. I didn't want to chance anything happening to him being that he was literally the size of a freshwater guppy. Literally. Any smaller and he would have been a brine shrimp!!! And I feed my fish mysis so I already have it. But yeah, my plan now is to call around and see. I'm gonna be picky about it because as much money as I put into the tank already, after losing my $130 wall hammer I really don't wanna spend the $80 I've seen them for just to have it die. Plus (obviously) I don't want a death on my hands! That's why I'm not doing tangs anymore. :( But ill def post pics if and when I find my beta. I took 4 days off from work for my birthday next week so fingers crossed ill find him then!!! And seriously your tank is amazing. :)

Have you tried looking on line for the fish you want

And happy birthday to you to and god bless hope you had a great birthday

Headed out in a bit to search again. Lol. Called one store and they have one.... In their DT.... And it's like 6 inches. Too big to start with. He'll eat my fire fish.

My lfs in Pittsburgh has a beautiful 3.5" marine betta I almost jumped on but the logic side of my brain had to step in haha

3.5 inches is exactly what I'm looking for! Pittsburg is about 5-6 hours from me so that's a little far! Lol. As far as the shrimp go, they will eat small shrimp and fish. My cleaner shrimp is huge. So hopefully I can find a smaller beta.

Id go for it. I work at my lfs and just from shipping marine bettas usually have torn fins and can be difficult to feed. Since its captive it will be more hardy as well.

Yay!!! I got one! She's about 2.5-3 inches. Perfect size. I saw her eat frozen mysis at the store and she's really fat. Going home now to acclimate and I'll add pics if she doesn't immediately go hide. I also picked up a beautiful melanurus wrasse slightly bigger than her. Can't wait to get them in my tank!

Yay!!! I got one! She's about 2.5-3 inches. Perfect size. I saw her eat frozen mysis at the store and she's really fat. Going home now to acclimate and I'll add pics if she doesn't immediately go hide. I also picked up a beautiful melanurus wrasse slightly bigger than her. Can't wait to get them in my tank!

Can't wait to see pics :) good luck with them and hope they are v happy in their new home!

Floating... I know, not exciting... But might be the only pics for a while if it hides! Gonna drip it next.

Attachments

• image-38683038.jpg
    image-38683038.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image-3067924937.jpg
    image-3067924937.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom