Thoughts on marine betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome!!! Yours looks different than mine. They are slightly different types..but i really like her!

Dripping now! I didn't think of a name yet. Suggestions? I'm calling it a she but I have no idea.

Attachments

• image-307380127.jpg
    image-307380127.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 112
  • image-2909240024.jpg
    image-2909240024.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 104
Yay!!! I got one! She's about 2.5-3 inches. Perfect size. I saw her eat frozen mysis at the store and she's really fat. Going home now to acclimate and I'll add pics if she doesn't immediately go hide. I also picked up a beautiful melanurus wrasse slightly bigger than her. Can't wait to get them in my tank!

I've got a melanurus wrasse. I absolutely love him. He's such a beautiful fish, active, and always out in the open. He's been that way since I first put him in my tank.

I love the marine betta as well. My LFS had a good sized one the last couple times I was there, it was priced at $70 I believe. I wanted it so bad! They're such gorgeous fish! I just don't know about one in my tank.

So excited for you though, two great additions!

Annnnnnnnd they're in! The wrasse is making himself at home. He just flung one of my small hermits off a rock. :/ The betta is hiding but not to badly. She came out once or twice but I have the blues on so I don't scare anyone. She's beautiful! I like the name Ora. That's pretty. I'm gonna keep that in mind. Need names for the wrasse too! He's soooo fat! Hope you guys enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• image-1376276510.jpg
    image-1376276510.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 108
  • image-2948466913.jpg
    image-2948466913.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image-723186529.jpg
    image-723186529.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1090792607.jpg
    image-1090792607.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 117
Annnnnnnnd they're in! The wrasse is making himself at home. He just flung one of my small hermits off a rock. :/ The betta is hiding but not to badly. She came out once or twice but I have the blues on so I don't scare anyone. She's beautiful! I like the name Ora. That's pretty. I'm gonna keep that in mind. Need names for the wrasse too! He's soooo fat! Hope you guys enjoy the pics!

Gorgeous fish!

Our wrasses look almost identical from what I can see in the pictures, seems they're both males and about the same size. I think you'll be happy with him:)

I have to say I'm jealous of the marine betta, now I want one for my tank even more:lol:

Awesome!!! Yours looks different than mine. They are slightly different types..but i really like her!

Hey do you think we have different sexes? I mean do you know of a way to tell? Not that it matters. She's sleeping under my pagoda now. Lights out at 6:30. The wrasse won't settle down. Aren't they supposed to dig or build a web thing or something?

Hey do you think we have different sexes? I mean do you know of a way to tell? Not that it matters. She's sleeping under my pagoda now. Lights out at 6:30. The wrasse won't settle down. Aren't they supposed to dig or build a web thing or something?

Those wrasses don't build a cocoon, or whatever the correct term is.

They do bury in the sand though. Mine is actively swimming throughout the tank until he goes to sleep for the night. He buries in the sand somewhere to sleep every night.

And apparently one day he decided to sleep in because I went a day without seeing him. I was so sure he had jumped and my dogs/cat had cleaned up the evidence. The next morning though he was swimming around the tank like nothing was wrong. No idea what caused him to do that, it was so out of character for him. Now I know not to jump to conclusions if he disappears for any amount of time like that again.

Okay I knew parrot fish did, thought I read that the wrasses do too. He's sleeping somewhere now. Only thing I see are the clowns and brittle star. Can't wait til the lights come on tomorrow! I just hope everything survives. I always fear that something will happen after I lost my two tangs, but they died within a few days of purchase (a while ago) and everything I've added so far has been healthy and great eaters. Fingers crossed!!! Oh and I'm going to name her Flora. The wrasse is kind of crazy so I need to think of a crazy name. Thanks everyone for your insite and compliments!

Okay I knew parrot fish did, thought I read that the wrasses do too. He's sleeping somewhere now. Only thing I see are the clowns and brittle star. Can't wait til the lights come on tomorrow! I just hope everything survives. I always fear that something will happen after I lost my two tangs, but they died within a few days of purchase (a while ago) and everything I've added so far has been healthy and great eaters. Fingers crossed!!! Oh and I'm going to name her Flora. The wrasse is kind of crazy so I need to think of a crazy name. Thanks everyone for your insite and compliments!

I'm pretty sure some wrasses do, just not this one. At least I believe I've read that, couldn't say which ones though.

I've never seen my wrasse actually bury for the night or unbury in the morning but I know he is somewhere. It'd be kinda neat so see him bury or emerge though :)

Sorry to hear about your tangs. I understand the worry, especially after a loss, but I'm sure your two new additions will be just fine

Great name for the betta!

That betta is beautiful!! I've never seen one in person, but the pics are gorgeous! :)

Those wrasses don't build a cocoon, or whatever the correct term is.

They do bury in the sand though. Mine is actively swimming throughout the tank until he goes to sleep for the night. He buries in the sand somewhere to sleep every night.

And apparently one day he decided to sleep in because I went a day without seeing him. I was so sure he had jumped and my dogs/cat had cleaned up the evidence. The next morning though he was swimming around the tank like nothing was wrong. No idea what caused him to do that, it was so out of character for him. Now I know not to jump to conclusions if he disappears for any amount of time like that again.

Betta is fine this morning, but the wrasse is laying down a lot. Doesn't look like he's breathing heavy or anything weird. Anyone know if this is normal behavior? He swam around for a minute then went back to hide and lay down. Ugh.

Betta is fine this morning, but the wrasse is laying down a lot. Doesn't look like he's breathing heavy or anything weird. Anyone know if this is normal behavior? He swam around for a minute then went back to hide and lay down. Ugh.

Oh no!:(

I can't say I've ever seen mine do that, he's always out swimming around and picking at the rocks and such.

But like I mentioned earlier he did stay buried in the sand one day all day and scared me to death. He had been acting fine before and acted fine when he got up the next day. Maybe mine needed to rest up a bit and yours is doing the same, just not in the sand?

I don't know but I hope your guy is alright. Glad the betta is still doing great

Edit: I do remember,when researching the wrasse, reading about some who had added the wrasse to their tank and it had hid the first little while. It may be where he's new to the tank still. Mine just didn't do that for some reason.

Mine is about 6 inches wild caught and eats anything in the tank. It just takes them time and I trained mine to accept prepared foods. I kept him alone in a 40g tank and fed him guppies (ones i bred) After a few days i would toss in a guppie and a krill then after a few weeks of that he started eatting krill without issue now he eats anything. Its an amazing fish

Back
Top Bottom