Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to madhatter208 Send a message via Yahoo to madhatter208
Something I know a little bit about.. woot

Im a QA Lab tech and I have a PH / Temp prob device. The temp prob is seperate from the PH probe but both are hooked up to the same digital read out.

Callibaration should be done on a regular basis to ensure correct readings.
The prob I have at work allows me to do a 3 step callibration. PH4, 7, and 10. PH buffers are required in order to do this. I callibrate my unit every day. Slope on this particular unit should be between 92 and 102.
Now on them poratble hand held units calibration slope and steps may differ. Some may only offer a 1 step callibration. That being a PH7.
Once its callibrated readings are pretty accurate.

Again units may varry. My unit at work requires the electrobe to remain wet. I keep it soaking in a a PH7 buffer at all times. It also requires a Reference Electrode filling solution. ( Ag/ AgCl). Your small hand held readers more then likely will not require this but none the less should be callibrated on a regualar basis. If your readings are all over its time to callibrate it. Remeber this is a lab unit so its rather expensive vs your hand held ones but the operation is the same.

Deffiently read the directions and follow them. Also may want to look into how offten you have to replace and how much them electrobes are.

I keep hopeing that the supply company i get my PH buffers and other lab goodies from will give away one of them hand held ones so I can have it for home hehe. Hopefully they will do another Calibrated digital thermometer as well.

Deff keep us posted on how well that unit works. Also let us know what kinda callibration it does and whats required to callibrate it.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter208
Deff keep us posted on how well that unit works. Also let us know what kinda callibration it does and whats required to callibrate it.
Great info! I actually got this in the mail today (along with many other goodies!). I'm currently soaking it in some r/o water (it has to soak for 2 hours and then I do the calibration).

I'll follow up with how all goes after that.

Again, thanks much for the info.

Tags
tester, testers

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com