Thoughts on the best Protein Skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking for opinions on the best Protein Skimmer....My main concern is effectiveness. What do you guys use? and how has it worked out for you?

Do you want a hang-on-back or in-sump model?
Do you have room in your sump?

I don't have room in my sump (converted wet/dry) and I have no room for a hang-on-back. I just recieved a Turboflotor 1000 multi which can sit in the cabinet next to the sump. I'll be hooking it up later today (I hope).

Everyone seems to love the skimmer they use but generally downrate the Seaclones.

Red Sea Berlin skimmers get good marks (the classic not the newer turbo).

I'm sure you will get lots of recomendations.
Things to consider are ease of adjustment, cup removal, cleaning and general maintenance of the unit you decide to get.

In Sump.

Someone reccomended the BErlin, but I wasn't sure of the model. You've clarified that. I think I'm leaning towards the Berlin Classic w/ a Mag7

If you get the Berlin Classic & Mag 7 , you will need to use the air adjustment screw for a while until the efficiency increases. It will overskim for a while - IMO it's an awesome skimmer for such a small size. Probably does the job of a 3 or 4' skimmer.

What sort of budget do you have to work with? You may want to look at one fromLifeReef, Euro-Reef, or Precision Marine as well.

Figure $201 total. For that you should be able to go with the Euro-Reef ES5.2. Of course, you may try to find a good used skimmer at either Ebay or Reef Central.

I've used the Berlin with a Mag 5 and it does a very good job. They will overskim at first with a Mag 5 also so you'll need that air adjustment no matter what pump you use.
Logan J

My opinion, comming from years of exprience and ownership of marine tank setup/maintenance business is that the Aqua C remora pro with mag-Drive 3 and skimmer box is the best HOT unit, should you decide to go that route.

cmor, be sure to get back to us with how you like the turbofloater, mine arrives on wednesday. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how easy the set up was and how well you think it works.

Back
Top Bottom