Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Might consider fluidized bio beads. They also provide a slow release carbon source for beneficial bacteria growth. Works great on my system. Just replace the beads as they dissolve.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah bio pellets are a simpler form of carbon dosing, but some have found that when runing it all the time that you may find issues with it stripping everything out, where as some softer corals like a bit of nitrate and phosphate.

LA Fishguys, Bio Pellets, Episode 107 pt1 - YouTube

good episode on biopellets from a very knowledgable jeff at reef dynamics.

as for having hair algae issues, you're probably not seeing any because the redsea max and API kits are not the most accurate as they don't read low levels there are some kits that will though, you may also not get any levels because the algaes are already consuming all of it.

best thing i could say right now is turn out the lights and lower your feeding to once every 2-3 days and keep the lights one for a few hours a daymaybe like 4 hours to limit the growth of hair algae and promote its dies off so you can actually remove or test the levels in the take in order to maintain dosing levels

Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You turn the bio pellet reactor off if nutrient levels get too low. Easier than dosing in my opinion. At least for me it is.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
You turn the bio pellet reactor off if nutrient levels get too low. Easier than dosing in my opinion. At least for me it is.

oh no doubt it is, no argument there, but take a look at the video i posted, reefdynamic has a pretty easy to use reactor, much easier then turnign of the reactor, it limits the flow through the reactor so it doesn't strip to much out and crash your system
Old 07-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That sounds cool, I will check it out. I used a $65 Lifegard fluidized filter for the beads.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol yeah $65 won't buy you the reactor, the babie is liek $250 thats the one thing abotu reef dynamics products, they really aren't cheap at all but they are some of the best on he market, i'm tryign to model my DIY skimmer after their 135g recirculating skimmer :P
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Fraiser View Post
My question now is my tank is already reading 0 on phos and nitrates. So how do I know when to cut back? Using Red Sea test. API test and Hanna test. Haha. SICK OF THIS HAIR ALGAE!
That is a very good question. If hair algae is more efficient than other means then I would say those other means will not serve anymore purpose. If only we can contain the hair algae in the sump and not in DT it would be cool lol.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
That is a very good question. If hair algae is more efficient than other means then I would say those other means will not serve anymore purpose. If only we can contain the hair algae in the sump and not in DT it would be cool lol.
You can with a algae scrubber. I have zero hair algae in my display tank .
Old 07-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Fraiser View Post
Oh. I am considering dosing again bc I am having a problem with hair algae. Phos shows 0 on three different tests. Nitrates also show o.
Have you recently changed your lighting fixture when hair algae started showing up? What lighting fixture do you have and the time you turn them on?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry. Been at the movies with my little boy. I have maxspect mAzarra p led lights. They are on the automatic setting. They start to brighten around 10 am and gradually brighten then start to dim around 8 pm. Running phosguard in a reactor. Have oversized skimmer. 15 gall water change every 7 days. Dose with aquavitro products. Fuge with chaeto. Algae is about to drive me nuts. Have a pile of money invested in this thing And work on it dang near everyday. Trying to keep algae at bay. Can't figure the source of the problem and its working me to death. Using rodi water with all new filters. Tried everything but the vodka so here goes!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com