Thoughts on yellow stripe marroon clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahahaha that's awesome, this is why I love the fish! Maybe that's a bad thing...

You have to keep in mind too that the MaY clowns are one of the biggest specimens in the clownfish family. Take that with the fact that they will develop terrortorial behavior as an adult, you will prob have your hands full with a pair of these in a 40g.

Also i had a full-grown adult MaY in my 125, with 2 triggers, a volitan lion, and a tang... The clown stole food from them...

I only want one in the tank
sorry about that. must have gotten mixed up somewhere. I'd still be wary, not saying its impossible or that you should be condemned for trying it, but it very well could cause problems for you down the road

I understand, and I'll do whatever it takes to properly keep one. Even if he's a bully. I don't plan on heavily stocking the tank. Max of 5-4 fish. They'll learn to keep away from his nem, hopefully

in regards to what you said previously about having all of the other fish docile, that will not work out. the maroon clown is going to be aggressive and you will need fish that can stand a chance against it

Well the purple dottyback is aggressive so he can be added. Not sure about the chromis then.

Well the purple dottyback is aggressive so he can be added. Not sure about the chromis then.

Fish are funny creatures and sometimes general knowledge, while providing guidance for reef keepers, does not apply. I recently had to give up a Barlett's Anthias that was beating the crap out of my clowns. Also had an African Leopard Wrasse who ruled my aquarium. She went back to LFS when I had a terrible Brooklynella outbreak three months ago.
Both these fish are classified as peaceful yet they found a way to be dominant and the Anthias was aggressive.
Bottom line is you will never know until you try and what I have learned over the course of 7 or so months of keeping fish is the more you like your fish the more likely you take care of it and keep it.
My only advice here is go slow and don't overstock for two reasons. First, fish will get territorial. You may notice that 4 may be the limit based on fish you select despite the fact that others are able to keep up to 8 fish in their 40 gallon. Second, if you start keeping corals you are more likely to be successful with lighter bioload. Good luck and post some photos of your clownfish when you get it.

I am not trying to advocate over stocking. I have two 40 gallons, but heavily stocked. I did this with the intention of going bigger from the start. In fact, Ive upgraded both tanks once each since January. I do water changes religiously every week, have a skimmer, reactor and UV on both tanks. I was in the process last week of getting some prices together and was going an 80 gallon shallow reef and taking down one of my 40 gallons and keeping the other up and running. Now, Innovative Marine has come out with the exact setup I was looking at and will have information abut it at the show this weekend. Now, with that being said, My female maroon is close to 5" already. She shows no aggression towards other fish, even when they get close to her nem. The male,same thing. Is there a risk. Absolutely. But guess what? I had a falco hawk and a 6 line as my only fish when I started and the haw killed my 6 line. I had a lubbock wrasse kill another wrasse because he didn't like him I guess. My point is, anytime you add fish together it's a relative crap shoot, regardless of what people say will work or not.

My little dominant poophead (said with affection :)) ocellaris clown slaps the Christmas wrasse with its tail fin when the latter wanders into the clowns cave. The clowns have moved into a little cave about 3 days ago when I re-aquascaped the aquarium. I can probably get away with adding one more fish such as a dwarf angel bringing the total to 4 fish and can't see going beyond that in my 40 breeder. Territorial fights, etc stress me out so I keep the fish count as low as possible.

I planning on having a very light bio load, so not many fish... Max 5, but aiming for 4-3. But they'll be be fish that you don't see everyday.. One of them will be a maroon clown, if he's aggressive, oh well. He's strikingly beautiful so it'll make up for it! I will update this thread once I get one, should I add him in last? Is it okay if I get him first? Thanks for your replies!

I planning on having a very light bio load, so not many fish... Max 5, but aiming for 4-3. But they'll be be fish that you don't see everyday.. One of them will be a maroon clown, if he's aggressive, oh well. He's strikingly beautiful so it'll make up for it! I will update this thread once I get one, should I add him in last? Is it okay if I get him first? Thanks for your replies!

I would add him first because clowns are very hardy fish and can handle unstable water conditions better than most other fish.

It will be a fish less cycle, I'll be adding a piece of cocktail shrimp in the tank till it completely rots

It will be a fish less cycle, I'll be adding a piece of cocktail shrimp in the tank till it completely rots

Good for you. Will take several weeks or even months for water to stabilize AFTER cycle. Ph, alkalinity and things like that will most likely fluctuate after cycling. That's why people wait at a least a month to three months after cycling to start adding corals.

Well I'll have to be adding corals as soon as possible, I got a bunch of corals in my current tank that are gonna have to go in the new one...

Well I'll have to be adding corals as soon as possible, I got a bunch of corals in my current tank that are gonna have to go in the new one...

If you use some of the live rock, live sand or filtration from your existing tank shouldn't it speed up cycling? It might just take 2-5 days for nitrogen cycle to complete. It definitely worked for me when I upgraded my tanks (multiple times). I remember I would just put a neon goby (hardy fish) and then transfer my other livestock.

I'm going bare bottom so no sand. And I'm getting completely new liverock. Gonna be getting 50 or 80 pounds of it, so hopefully that will speed up my cycle a lot!

Back
Top Bottom