Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
I am not trying to advocate over stocking. I have two 40 gallons, but heavily stocked. I did this with the intention of going bigger from the start. In fact, Ive upgraded both tanks once each since January. I do water changes religiously every week, have a skimmer, reactor and UV on both tanks. I was in the process last week of getting some prices together and was going an 80 gallon shallow reef and taking down one of my 40 gallons and keeping the other up and running. Now, Innovative Marine has come out with the exact setup I was looking at and will have information abut it at the show this weekend. Now, with that being said, My female maroon is close to 5" already. She shows no aggression towards other fish, even when they get close to her nem. The male,same thing. Is there a risk. Absolutely. But guess what? I had a falco hawk and a 6 line as my only fish when I started and the haw killed my 6 line. I had a lubbock wrasse kill another wrasse because he didn't like him I guess. My point is, anytime you add fish together it's a relative crap shoot, regardless of what people say will work or not.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My little dominant poophead (said with affection ) ocellaris clown slaps the Christmas wrasse with its tail fin when the latter wanders into the clowns cave. The clowns have moved into a little cave about 3 days ago when I re-aquascaped the aquarium. I can probably get away with adding one more fish such as a dwarf angel bringing the total to 4 fish and can't see going beyond that in my 40 breeder. Territorial fights, etc stress me out so I keep the fish count as low as possible.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I planning on having a very light bio load, so not many fish... Max 5, but aiming for 4-3. But they'll be be fish that you don't see everyday.. One of them will be a maroon clown, if he's aggressive, oh well. He's strikingly beautiful so it'll make up for it! I will update this thread once I get one, should I add him in last? Is it okay if I get him first? Thanks for your replies!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damped View Post
I planning on having a very light bio load, so not many fish... Max 5, but aiming for 4-3. But they'll be be fish that you don't see everyday.. One of them will be a maroon clown, if he's aggressive, oh well. He's strikingly beautiful so it'll make up for it! I will update this thread once I get one, should I add him in last? Is it okay if I get him first? Thanks for your replies!
I would add him first because clowns are very hardy fish and can handle unstable water conditions better than most other fish.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It will be a fish less cycle, I'll be adding a piece of cocktail shrimp in the tank till it completely rots
Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
It will be a fish less cycle, I'll be adding a piece of cocktail shrimp in the tank till it completely rots
Good for you. Will take several weeks or even months for water to stabilize AFTER cycle. Ph, alkalinity and things like that will most likely fluctuate after cycling. That's why people wait at a least a month to three months after cycling to start adding corals.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I'll have to be adding corals as soon as possible, I got a bunch of corals in my current tank that are gonna have to go in the new one...
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Well I'll have to be adding corals as soon as possible, I got a bunch of corals in my current tank that are gonna have to go in the new one...
If you use some of the live rock, live sand or filtration from your existing tank shouldn't it speed up cycling? It might just take 2-5 days for nitrogen cycle to complete. It definitely worked for me when I upgraded my tanks (multiple times). I remember I would just put a neon goby (hardy fish) and then transfer my other livestock.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm going bare bottom so no sand. And I'm getting completely new liverock. Gonna be getting 50 or 80 pounds of it, so hopefully that will speed up my cycle a lot!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you get your maroon clown yet?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com