Thoughts on yellow stripe marroon clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd like to have some advice on how to keep these guys, are they peaceful and such. Your experiences with them. I'm looking to get only 1 for my future reef tank. The 45 gallon shallow tank:) thank you!

I had just one in my 60g reef tank with a bubble tip anemone and it was fine with me and with all my other fish. Now iv have paired them up and now have 2, they are my favourite fish.

I'd like to have some advice on how to keep these guys, are they peaceful and such. Your experiences with them. I'm looking to get only 1 for my future reef tank. The 45 gallon shallow tank:) thank you!

If you want to experience symbiotic relationship then you are definitely on the right track. A friend of mine had a green bubble tip anemone. Then he added a maroon clownfish. The clownfish went right into the anemone. Literally took 45-60 seconds for it to occur. It is my understanding that bubble anemones are natural hosts for maroon clowns.
Most people will say that GSM clownfish are somewhat aggressive. Good luck.

Great clowns but some people will say different just got a pair but mine are the white ones had two yellows for 5yrs they where great together.

Alright thanks! I will be getting a bta later on too! Hopefully he'll host it

I've housed a gold stripe maroon for over a year now. He is very cool to his tank mates unless they come to close to the RBTA. Other than when I stick my hands in the tank to adjust things Is he aggressive, he nips at me. It's kind of funny. Definitely cool looking and his stripes yellow up at different times. They are for sure my favorite clownfish.

They get to be 5" and are quite territorial. The full grown size alone would stop me from adding one to a 45. I vote some variation of ocellaris.

I've had a pair close to 1 year now , at first they were my favorite but like mr x said ... They are territorial . If I had a do over I wouldn't get the maroon .

I've had one for years and they are very territorial. It should be the last one in imo.

I plan on getting a green/blue chromis, purple dottyback, and three other fish, the last one being the maroon

What if I were to add him last?

I think almost all clowns eventually get territorial especially when they are spawning and/or protecting their anemone. So if you like it then get it just don't freak out when they get aggressive. My little 1.5 inch ocellaris is already showing territorial behavior towards my wrasse and definitely exhibiting dominance over the second smaller clown. Bottom line is no matter which clown you get it will most likely get aggressive so you might as well get the one you like.

Ahhh I don't know. I have a bonded pair of Gold Flake Maroon's and they are only nasty to me. They don't bother my other fish at all. It's only a 40 gallon for now with 8 other fish.

The tank has a lot of space, it's 36x24. Shouldn't that be enough room for the fish to feel comfortable and not become aggressive? How aggressive does he become? Surely he doesn't think the whole tank is his if I were to put him last

I love their personality, that's why I want one. Come on guys settle down.

How aggressive would he become? Would he just chase the other fish away? Or would he actually attack them?

That depends on the specimen and the proximity to his anemone. Hard to say. BTW, I don't mean anyone harm, it's just the way I type. Just imagine me saying these things sarcastically, and not angrily....I'm just giving advice in a comical way (in my head anyway).

I plan to have all docile fish except for him. Since he'll be in his anemone most of the time, I plan on getting fish that swim in the open water (chromis) and fish that like to hide in the rock work.

If they get to close to the anemone, they'll learn their lesson! I wouldn't want strangers near my house either eh! My tank has a large footprint, hopefully it's enough room for the fish I plan on getting to somewhat get along..

I've sold a good amount of maroon clowns. The most recent one I had spent some time with was in a customer's tank. This clown would not even let me place corals near the anemone.
I would put a frag within 10" of it in a 150 gallon tank and the next thing I know it was thrown in the monti cap. A 1.5" frag on a plug.
he would pick it up and spit it about 2' away.

Back
Top Bottom