Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I got a treatment yesterday from kent called Rx-p or something like that. Apparently it's totally organic and can be used in a DT as it contains NO copper. Maybe look into that for whoever has a tank outbreak. I just noticed small white dots on my hawfishs' pectoral fins so he's being treated with it in a 10 gal QT. if anyone has experience with this product any input would be appreciated

Old 08-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by buxndux View Post
I got a treatment yesterday from kent called Rx-p or something like that. Apparently it's totally organic and can be used in a DT as it contains NO copper. Maybe look into that for whoever has a tank outbreak. I just noticed small white dots on my hawfishs' pectoral fins so he's being treated with it in a 10 gal QT. if anyone has experience with this product any input would be appreciated

My understanding of these new "organic" treatments is that they help build slime coat, which helps (to some degree) keep parasites off. They do not "cure" anything. I have not seen anything scientific showing a true cure beyond hypo or copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If the only two true cures for marine ich kill inverts or coral how could any reef safe treatment ever work . If you take the time to think about that it makes perfect sense .
I go with hyposalinity quarantine procedures before I add fish to my tank. It is a lot easier on the fish than copper .

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote: I go with hyposalinity quarantine procedures before I add fish to my tank. It is a lot easier on the fish than copper . Have you tried it on a mandarin?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Never kept a mandarin before so I am unsure . I also never read anything that said you couldn't . I'll see if I can dig anything up on that for you.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
What is stressing the fish to the point of lowering their immune systems? This is what you should be addressing IMO, and not moving fish all over the place. If it's the yellow tang, eject it. I don't think it is though, since the mandarin has some on it too. A parameter issue perhaps? Temp swing?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know Doug? We transferred the fish over to a new larger tank using the same media about 4-5 weeks ago? The introduction of the banner fish which was being harassed by the sailfin was the start of it I'm sure of it-this was just after upsizing the tank. To be honest I am not sure if the mandarin has it? There are no spots on his fins but his skin doesn't look right...not as vibrant and he's not out and about at the front of the tank waiting to be fed. The target is hiding a bit too (or maybe I am paranoid studying them on a Sat morning ). The pjs have cloudy eyes and one has always had a shredded tail- I thought the sailfin as he is a bully. The coral beauty had one cloudy eye and I read this could be bacterial so I did another water change and he looks better this morning. I test my water and nothing is off except the SG is high at 1.027. I am going to do a wc again and top up with RODI. The duncan I spoke with you about has that brown jelly again....4heads have bleached. Everything was going beautifully then all at once this is happening.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Through proven treatment for you...which is better-copper or hypo salinity tr...

Is this ich on the PJ cardinal?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406949140.354813.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	245223 the eyes especially are a concern...it's like they have a crust around them.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:36 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are you using to test? How frequently do you do water changes? I kinda think it is a water quality issue, unless everything really is pristine. Cloudy eyes (both eyes?) usually are something to do with that.

Could be stress too, but is there any visible sparring going on? Anything that could be stressing the fish?

My Rabbitfish had some whitish patches when I moved him from QT and they cleared after a day or two. Same happened with the Yellow Tang. Neither had signs of anything in QT and neither have had anything since. The move seems to be the only similar factor in my case. It was never cloudy eyes though. Kinda like your pic, but clear eyes. That pic does not look like Ich to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-02-2014, 01:14 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am using API test kits and a hydrometer. I was doing fortnightly wc and just once stretched it to 3wks with the larger tank-testing all the while. I am doing my 3rd wc in as little as 10days right now. Replacing with RODI at the moment, dripping around 40-50 litres to bring the SG down.

Tags
eat, ich, salinity, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com