Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to fadetoblack06
I waited like 5 days between them. Wouldn't a larger heater just not have to work as hard to keep the tank warm?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetoblack06
I waited like 5 days between them. Wouldn't a larger heater just not have to work as hard to keep the tank warm?
What were those 6 fish?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First was a sail fin tang, I'm getting a 6 foot tank Friday so no yelling lol, then a butterfly which I believe had an internal parasite cause he and the tang were no further than 6" from each other, then an angel, then a clown fish, then a hippo tang, the problems started when I added the hippo tang. Everything started dieing. They were all eating like champs then dead.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The sail fin tang is still alive and kicking. No problems with him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1026334135.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	125140  
Old 10-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
First was a sail fin tang, I'm getting a 6 foot tank Friday so no yelling lol, then a butterfly which I believe had an internal parasite cause he and the tang were no further than 6" from each other, then an angel, then a clown fish, then a hippo tang, the problems started when I added the hippo tang. Everything started dieing. They were all eating like champs then dead.
And this was all added over several weeks? Im a strong believer in going slow..apparently thats not the route you took. And you picked some sensitive fish too! Hippo tangs are known for carrying all kinda crud from the lfs, so that is a real possibility of being the cause of all these problems
Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well lesson learned. The research I did didnt match up to what it is. I am going to try the sailfin tang and leave him there for the next month then add. I guess I just got to excited.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Well lesson learned. The research I did didnt match up to what it is. I am going to try the sailfin tang and leave him there for the next month then add. I guess I just got to excited.
Its tough i know Just try an keep everything stable forthe next couple weeks and you should be fine!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I thought you were going to say like a school of chromis or a pair of clowns but tangs and butterflies are big! Esp in a 70 with a newly cycled tank.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Patience is a virtue !!! Lol I know it's tempting but take your time it will all be worth it ! And good luck this is a great hobby when it's done right ! And an expensive headache when it's rushed !
Old 10-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The canister is probably one of the reasons for the high nitrates. There is no reason or need for a filter in a reef environment. The are nitrate factories, if you want to use one, the media must be changed every 2 or 3 days. You stocked way to fast. 4-6 weeks to cycle, then only a cuc. A month laster add 1 fish, wait another 3-4 weeks before you add the second. Everything you add to your system puts a strain on you biological system. It needs time to rebuild. I would start by removing the filter. Do water changes to get the nitrates down, and WAIT. Do not add anything else until you get the tank stabilized. It takes years to have a fully stocked reef, not weeks. How many fish and kind did/do you have in the 75. Did you lose them at night, during the day. It does make a difference, if your tank is over crowded and you have lost them all at night, it might be oxygen depletion. Your ph is a little low but I would not add any thing to get it up at this point, the more stuff add the harder it is going to be to get it stabilized. Steady ph is more important. If you can get some fresh air into your house it will bring it up naturally. One step at a time.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com