Throwing the towel in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was all at different times that i lost them during the day and at night. So just put another power head facing the opposite direction so the current goes both ways then?

I agree that good sized fish were likely added too quickly. That probably caused an ammonia spike Because your tank didn't have enough BB to keep up. Don't be too hard on yourself. I know it's frustrating, but chalk it up to a lesson learned.
And a canister filter is fine, lots of people use them in SW. Not everyone has room for a sump. You just need to make sure you are very good about cleaning the canister every week. Nitrates under 40 should not harm your fish. For corals and algae control, nitrates closer to zero is best. But anything under 40 won't harm the fish.

The only thing fast about this hobby are bad things. Patience is the key to it all!! Promise!!! Also, I would set a QT up for all new fish. Watch them for 3-4 weeks to make sure your not adding something to your system. Your thank yourself in the end. I learned the hard way....almost lost a 200.00 Australian tusk who is currently being treated with copper for iCh.

Good luck and we are here to help

So if I get a protein skimmer and another power head, take out the canister filter should I be fine then with that set up? I have one power head now in there and the other power head would take the place of the filter head.

So if I were to build my own sump and get a protein skimmer and a power head to replace the output of the canister I should be fine right.

Replace the canister filter media with live rock rubble ! Just a suggestion

The live rock to replace the filter media? Then I can just let it run right. Is there anything else I would need to do then besides run a protein skimmer then not need a sump?

A sump is not a necessity but the benefits are plenty ! It will add volume to your system keeping water chemistry more stable ! It will also give you somewhere to hide heaters skimmers etc ! Try to rate your skimmer at twice your tanks volume ! My system runs with no filter as such just a massive skimmer and live rock and that's it ! Here's a pic !
It looks complicated but it's not really ! A sump doesn't even need to be a tank ! A simple sump can be anything that's big enough and holds water ! Any questions buddy just ask
image-2323590685.jpg

Attachments

• image-1081960037.jpg
    image-1081960037.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image-4054568152.jpg
    image-4054568152.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1005590182.jpg
    image-1005590182.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 102
Also with a marine system your turnover rate should be at least 15 times your system volume per hour you can do this with a combination of power heads and skimmer rating etc and your return pump if you have a sump

I'm picking up a coralife 220 skimmer which is Rated for 220 gallons. My prob now is my tank is about an inch and a half away from the wall so I'd pretty much have to do a sump. I plan on attempting a home made one this weekend otherwise ill have to move the tank out or find another way to hang it on cause I have a canopy on it.

I would go for the sump personally ! Is your tank drilled or are you going to use an overflow box ? You'll have a sump in the future anyway lol so why not just go for it now ?

Quick tip. When you do research dont just take one person's advice as there are many many different opinions on what is correct and what is incorrect. You will find youself with a majority vote at the end. Check all the websites!

obscurereef said:
Could use a CPR overflow w/out drilling...
CPR CS Overflow Boxes

Personally, I'd go with an eshopps overflow box. When I was researching overflows for my tank, I found a lot of people had trouble with the CPR overflows flooding the floors in power outtages and the such... But eshopps seems to have the least chance to fail. And they're rather reasonably priced.

But this is JMO

My tank is an inch away from the wall though with a canopy so unless I drain it and move it or get a new tank and move everything I'm limited.

fadetoblack06 said:
My tank is an inch away from the wall though with a canopy so unless I drain it and move it or get a new tank and move everything I'm limited.

Just an idea... What about puttin an overflow on say the left side, and have the return on the right side?

Wouldn't I have to cut the canopy then? Everything is snug underneath it.

Attachments

• image-1751270864.jpg
    image-1751270864.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom