Throwing the towel in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have lost 4 fish in the past 10 days. My parameters and salinity is fine, I will test again when I get home and post. The tanks been running for apx 6 weeks about 100 pounds of live rock in it salinity has been stable at 1.024 temp is stable and everyone was eating fine as soon as the food went in. There's no ich in the tank I need help or I'm just giving up.

6 weeks is not long at all. Have you been testing for Ammonia, Nitrate & Nitrite? Also PH? If these have not all stabilized you cannot keep anything in it without the risk of it dying.

What size is your tank?
Whats the parameters?
What equipment do you have set up?
Is your live rock cured?

well I can tell you that without a brief history and stating everything is fine, that no one will be able to help you. If you are losing fish every day than everything is not fine. We all want to help but we cant do it without hard numbers and tank information. Parameters, tank size, how long it has been running, lighting, how many and what kind of fish and corals. We want to help but you have to help us help you.

I agree with both these comments ^^^ you've lost 4 fish already ! How many more do you have ? And in a 6 week old system ! More info would help us to help you

If the tank was completely cycled 6 weeks ago, I'm guessing you added all the fish at the same time or close to the same time. There could have been a big ammonia spike that killed them all. You don't have enough beneficial bacteria in the tank to keep up with all those fish's waste.

Just do your research. I put my fist three fish in after a week of getting it and iv had my tank for two years. Check your using the right food for the fish they will probably just eat what you throw in good or bad. And also don't over feed them.

Nitrates are 30, nitrites are 0, alkalinity is above 30p, ph Is 7.8, ammonia is 0, salinity is 1.024, tank size is 75, 100 pounds plus live rock, fluval 406 filter, aqua view 20 circ pump facing the opposite direction. Temp stable at 78 and a 300 watt heater.

Check your heater a 300w heater to me that is too much. Plus did you add all 6 in at one time? If so you cannot do that in saltwater like you can in freshwater tanks.

I waited like 5 days between them. Wouldn't a larger heater just not have to work as hard to keep the tank warm?

fadetoblack06 said:
I waited like 5 days between them. Wouldn't a larger heater just not have to work as hard to keep the tank warm?

What were those 6 fish?

First was a sail fin tang, I'm getting a 6 foot tank Friday so no yelling lol, then a butterfly which I believe had an internal parasite cause he and the tang were no further than 6" from each other, then an angel, then a clown fish, then a hippo tang, the problems started when I added the hippo tang. Everything started dieing. They were all eating like champs then dead.

The sail fin tang is still alive and kicking. No problems with him.

Attachments

• image-1026334135.jpg
    image-1026334135.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 96
fadetoblack06 said:
First was a sail fin tang, I'm getting a 6 foot tank Friday so no yelling lol, then a butterfly which I believe had an internal parasite cause he and the tang were no further than 6" from each other, then an angel, then a clown fish, then a hippo tang, the problems started when I added the hippo tang. Everything started dieing. They were all eating like champs then dead.

And this was all added over several weeks? Im a strong believer in going slow..apparently thats not the route you took. And you picked some sensitive fish too! Hippo tangs are known for carrying all kinda crud from the lfs, so that is a real possibility of being the cause of all these problems

Well lesson learned. The research I did didnt match up to what it is. I am going to try the sailfin tang and leave him there for the next month then add. I guess I just got to excited.

fadetoblack06 said:
Well lesson learned. The research I did didnt match up to what it is. I am going to try the sailfin tang and leave him there for the next month then add. I guess I just got to excited.

Its tough i know:( Just try an keep everything stable forthe next couple weeks and you should be fine!

Yeah I thought you were going to say like a school of chromis or a pair of clowns but tangs and butterflies are big! Esp in a 70 with a newly cycled tank.

Patience is a virtue !!! Lol I know it's tempting but take your time it will all be worth it ! And good luck this is a great hobby when it's done right ! And an expensive headache when it's rushed !

The canister is probably one of the reasons for the high nitrates. There is no reason or need for a filter in a reef environment. The are nitrate factories, if you want to use one, the media must be changed every 2 or 3 days. You stocked way to fast. 4-6 weeks to cycle, then only a cuc. A month laster add 1 fish, wait another 3-4 weeks before you add the second. Everything you add to your system puts a strain on you biological system. It needs time to rebuild. I would start by removing the filter. Do water changes to get the nitrates down, and WAIT. Do not add anything else until you get the tank stabilized. It takes years to have a fully stocked reef, not weeks. How many fish and kind did/do you have in the 75. Did you lose them at night, during the day. It does make a difference, if your tank is over crowded and you have lost them all at night, it might be oxygen depletion. Your ph is a little low but I would not add any thing to get it up at this point, the more stuff add the harder it is going to be to get it stabilized. Steady ph is more important. If you can get some fresh air into your house it will bring it up naturally. One step at a time.

Back
Top Bottom