time for clean-up crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here's my story:

Six weeks ago I set up my 75 gallon tank and threw in a shrimp. Ammonia and nitrite started to go up, then got a little nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite started to com down slowly, then seemed to get stuck. (Sorry I didn't keep those early numbers, but they never got very high.)

Ten days ago, I added live rock from lr.com.

Finally built up some nitrate, up to 20 ppm, where it is now. Over the last week, ammonia has dropped from 1.0 ppm to 0. (Yay!) Nitrite has fallen from 0.50 to barely a trace. PH is 8.0. Is it safe to put in a clean-up crew at this point? Am I correct in assuming that most of you put in the clean-up crew before any fish?

How do you all decide on a clean-up crew? If it's OK now, should I just go to somewhere like saltwaterfish.com and order a pre-made package? Or does anyone have better suggestions for custom-picked critters? I'd like some of you with some experience to please give suggestions!

Thanks, Diane

It looks like your cycle is done, so I guess it will be OK.

You dont want to put a clean up crew in unless they have something to eat (algaes) so if you dont have much maybe wait a little bit longer.

Where's the best place to buy the clean-up crew? Are the "reef packages" on saltwaterfish.com clean-up crews? Or something more? Do I need less to start? Please tell me what to buy first, now that my tank's cycle is ending. Yikes! Sure do need suggestions.

dianeww said:
Would they eat flake or frozen food if they can't find enough algae or leftovers?

Yes they will eat flake or whatever is on the bottom for them... I bought the tablets of algae (spiruluna sp?) and they run to it. I feed it only once in a while...

Back
Top Bottom