Time lapse of green trumpet LPS eating dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phranque

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not the greatest quality.... just a quick set-up of my metallic green trumpet eatng some dinner. The pumps were shut off, so all the movement is the coral itself. This is about an hour's worth of digestion.

Trumpet Eating - YouTube

Phranque said:
Not the greatest quality.... just a quick set-up of my metallic green trumpet eatng some dinner. The pumps were shut off, so all the movement is the coral itself. This is about an hour's worth of digestion.

Trumpet Eating - YouTube

That's cool! I know they're really slow eaters, but have never seen a time lapse of it. :)

Really, really cool video. If you have a chance to tell us how you made it, I'd be interested. :)

Wow... great reponse. Thanks, guys.

Really, really cool video. If you have a chance to tell us how you made it, I'd be interested. :)

Absolutely..... for you photo geeks:
Nikon D2Xs with a 105mm f/2.8D micro lens on a tripod (ISO400, Aperture priority @ f/11 for depth of field & 1/10sec). The camera's got a built in intervalometer which I set to take a shot every 4 seconds and let it go for about 1400 frames. Downloaded all the shots & used Paintshop Pro X3 for a batch process resize/sharpen, turned them into a 24fps .mov with the image sequencer in Quicktime Pro, and then converted it into a much more reasonably sized MP4 using Handbrake.

I noticed the video plays a lot smoother it you click on the link above it & go to YouTube..... It seems to stutter pretty bad being linked.

I was hoping I could understand your response, but sadly that is not the case! Lol!

Have you considered writing up an article about this? I mean, I won't be able to decipher it, but I bet some of our more tech-savvy members would! :)

Again, what a cool vid!

Phranque said:
Wow... great reponse. Thanks, guys.

Absolutely..... for you photo geeks:
Nikon D2Xs with a 105mm f/2.8D micro lens on a tripod (ISO400, Aperture priority @ f/11 for depth of field & 1/10sec). The camera's got a built in intervalometer which I set to take a shot every 4 seconds and let it go for about 1400 frames. Downloaded all the shots & used Paintshop Pro X3 for a batch process resize/sharpen, turned them into a 24fps .mov with the image sequencer in Quicktime Pro, and then converted it into a much more reasonably sized MP4 using Handbrake.

I noticed the video plays a lot smoother it you click on the link above it & go to YouTube..... It seems to stutter pretty bad being linked.

Is this on a Mac? Just curious. I have a micro lens for my canon rebel (I know it's old) I'm wondering if I can do the same if I change shutter speed?

I never really messed with the aperture so I'll play a little with it and see what happens.

Again awesome video!

Nope, not a Mac.... done on my ASUS laptop.

In the case of what I just did with this video, shutter speed is not important since I wasn't trying to capture a fast moving object. For something like this, you will want to set your camera on Aperture Priority mode (Av for you Canon users). This allows you to choose the aperture you want to shot at, thereby controlling the depth-of-field of what's in focus, and lets the camera decide the shutter speed to get the proper exposure. Just keep in mind that the smaller aperture you use to get a deeper focal plane, the longer the shutter has to stay open to compensate, making a decent tripod essential to prevent movement/blur.
And, unless you want to sit behind your camera for an hour with a stopwatch having to press the shutter button every few seconds, you're going to need a shutter release with an intervalometer (my camera has one built in, but I don't believe yours does). You can program it with how many total pictures you want to take, and how far apart to take them. Say you want to take 500 pictures and have them 10 seconds apart.... you can program the remote to do just that, and once you press "start", it will take over and trip the camera every 10 seconds for 500 frames. You just sit back & relax.
These can be had on Amazon for $10-$15

Amazon.com: NEEWER® Timer Remote Control RS-60E3 For Canon XS XSi T1i XT XTi: Camera & Photo

Back
Top Bottom