Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Time to panic yet?

Just added a diamond watchman goby to my 125 reef yesterday. Drip acclimated and he was really healthy looking going in. He looked to have adjusted well last night. He was sifting the sand bed and was right out in the front of the tank. Just got home and I can't find him anywhere. Not sure if he is just hiding or if he is a goner already. I have egg crate covering the whole tank. I searched all around the tank just in case. No evidence of a jumper.

His tank mates include a maroon clown that is fairly territorial but did not go after the goby yesterday at all. A blonde naso, a fox face, a perc clown. Inverts include lots of hermits (blue legs and scarlets) emerald crabs, a serpent star, a purple lobster, skunk cleaner shrimp.

Any ideas if any of these guys should be suspects? The goby was only about 3". Significantly smaller than most of the fish. Even the perc clown is bigger than him. Is the lobster a possibility? I thought that they were safe but those claws look like fish grabbers.

Last time I added fish, I put in 3 green chromis and they all disappeared slowly over the course of like 10 days. With them, I thought it was disease but I never found any remains.

I dunno, maybe I am just over reacting and he is hiding in some crevice.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could be the lobster...

Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My thought was lobster too. I've never had one, but think that they generally will eat whatever they can grab.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Could be the lobster...
Lobster would be the first I would look to.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stupid thing. All it does is hide anyway. Any advice on catching said lobster without dismantling the whole tank?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

My fairly new watchman goby hides a lot too. Have had him a few weeks and as they become more comfortable to the tank they will come out more. Mine is pretty small. Maybe 3 inches, but about as thick as a sharpie marker.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just added a watchman yesterday also , I don't see him but I noticed his work when I got home today . If you don't see holes in your sand most likely he's no longer there .
Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosesrblu1
My fairly new watchman goby hides a lot too. Have had him a few weeks and as they become more comfortable to the tank they will come out more. Mine is pretty small. Maybe 3 inches, but about as thick as a sharpie marker.
Mine is about that same size. I just find it weird because yesterday when I added him he stayed out in front pretty much till lights out. Then no sign of him today.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine didn't sift for about 2-3 days. Now he's a pro, but still shy. Also, some sift more than others. My pink is not a big sifter, my bullet in another tank is a sifting fool...looks like Christmas on the rocks and have to blow them every few days. Depends on the fish and conditions. Give it some time
Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioteacher

Mine is about that same size. I just find it weird because yesterday when I added him he stayed out in front pretty much till lights out. Then no sign of him today.
Btw, mine did that till my son spooked him, then he hid. Real nice...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com