Timer For MH lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok I had 2 timers on my old lighting system and just switched to 2x MH and PC lights.. There is seperate switches on the ballast for each light.. Can I use a dual outlet and plug both lights into a single timer and leave the light switches on??? The Mh lights are 2x250watt and the timer states that capacity is 15a "R", 1750w From what I understand I should be able to use this correct... But I am not that familiar with MH lights..

TIA,
James

The Mh lights are 2x250watt and the timer states that capacity is 15a "R", 1750w From what I understand I should be able to use this correct... But I am not that familiar with MH lights..

If the timer can handle the juice...yes you can and IMO should use it ;)

500 watts will be OK on a single timer.... keep in mind MH lights use a capacitor to provide a large starting surge, which means they take almost 2x their rated power to start. Everything connected to that circuit will also feel that surge... whether this is a problem or not really depends on your wiring and what else is on the same circuit as the lights.

a standard 15amp household circuit is good for ~1800 watts, over the entire circuit, not at each outlet.

for example, you have 500 watts of MH light that will take around 1000 watts to start, maybe a 200 watt heater (or two?) and another 100 in powerheads, pumps and filters ... so that would put the 'peak' load for your tank system at 1300watts, dropping down to 800 after the lights start. Now if this is a dedicated circuit, no problems, but if this circuit is also connected to lights, a tv, etc, in other places in the house, you could go over the 1800 watts breifly when the lights both start at the same time, which would trip a circuit breaker (or blown fuse)

using two timers so one light starts just a min after the other will reduce the chance you will have some sort of overload.

Well... I have one timer now that I can use.. I will see as soon as Fedex gets here with my bulbs if it will trip the breaker at all.. If it happens to trip the breaker I guess I will use 2 timers and have them start a bit apart.. I am still using the old analog timers so a min apart is impossible... I plan on getting digital timers but I spent quite a bit on the lights and stuff... One of these days my wife is going to Kill me I swear.. 400.00 here 500.00 there 300.00 here... 100,000.00 for my life lol..

Well when both came on it didnt trip any circuit breaker in the house so I guess that I am Lucky.. Anyways Wow do they make a difference..

Thanks Again Guys,
James

BTW JustDiy Kudos

Back
Top Bottom