Timer on skimmer or no tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkmrsteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just setup my 75 gal tank, refuge and everything. Is in the living room, and the protein skimmer is so loud! Sounds like the dish washer running!

My girl friend and I where very unhappy about the sounds, and decided if wecould not find a solution, the tank had to go!

I have looked into making baffles, insulating the skimmer, and changing its position. The only thing I can think to do is add a timer to the pump, and run it from 12am to 12pm. Also lowering the bucket to help get more in this time.

I understand this may shorten the pump life, and won't keep the tank as clean 24/7. This still seems better then not getting to enjoy this salt watter reef tank

Not sure what skimmer it is, can't see behind it. with it running this sec, I'm not moving it. I posted pics a few days ago

What sound are you hearing the bubbles, the prop in the pump, or just vibration because a skimmer should be nearly silent. The only sound you should really hear are and cooling fans and the water falling to the sump

Mrc8858 said:
What sound are you hearing the bubbles, the prop in the pump, or just vibration because a skimmer should be nearly silent. The only sound you should really hear are and cooling fans and the water falling to the sump

I guess its the hum from the pump and swishing/idk from foming bubbles. Lfs owner said it was normal...

My skimmer pump has rubber feet to isolate it from the tank. You could try some filter floss sheet between your skimmer and the tank to reduce the hum from the pump.

Back
Top Bottom