Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Timer on skimmer or no tank...

I just setup my 75 gal tank, refuge and everything. Is in the living room, and the protein skimmer is so loud! Sounds like the dish washer running!

My girl friend and I where very unhappy about the sounds, and decided if wecould not find a solution, the tank had to go!

I have looked into making baffles, insulating the skimmer, and changing its position. The only thing I can think to do is add a timer to the pump, and run it from 12am to 12pm. Also lowering the bucket to help get more in this time.

I understand this may shorten the pump life, and won't keep the tank as clean 24/7. This still seems better then not getting to enjoy this salt watter reef tank

Not sure what skimmer it is, can't see behind it. with it running this sec, I'm not moving it. I posted pics a few days ago

Old 06-17-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What sound are you hearing the bubbles, the prop in the pump, or just vibration because a skimmer should be nearly silent. The only sound you should really hear are and cooling fans and the water falling to the sump

Old 06-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
What sound are you hearing the bubbles, the prop in the pump, or just vibration because a skimmer should be nearly silent. The only sound you should really hear are and cooling fans and the water falling to the sump
I guess its the hum from the pump and swishing/idk from foming bubbles. Lfs owner said it was normal...
Old 06-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Does it just have an air tube with nothing over it? Putting a muffler on my air tube literally silenced my skimmer.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My skimmer is almost silent
Old 06-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
My skimmer pump has rubber feet to isolate it from the tank. You could try some filter floss sheet between your skimmer and the tank to reduce the hum from the pump.

Tags
skimmer, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com