Timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep. THey are like $4 or something. THey have an on/off setting and you set the dial to the current time and plug it in to the wall outlet and then plug your lights into that.

I guess I'm a sucker for digital gadgets. I like the Intermatic digital that Home Depot sells. It's programmable. It has battery backup so you don't lose the settings when the power goes out. It's absolutely accurate. It's about $16. Best of all...it uses a 3 prong grounded plug.

that would be my only point of suggestion, be sure whatever timer you get it uses all three prongs so your lights are grounded.

be sure to check the load rating for "Inductive" or "Fluorescent" loads ... most timers that claim 15A are actually rated much less than that for inductive loads, due to the kickback from the transformer.

exceeding the recommended rating is probably not 'dangerous' but may shorten the life of the timer, or cause it to get stuck-on

just my $0.02

I'm not sure about the load rating on the digital Intermatics, but I have two of them on a reef tank. Each one powers an Icecap 660 with a pair of 160w bulbs. Another is on a cichlid tank running 2x96w PC's. Another is on my coral tanks running 6x65w PC's. I'm going to guess, since I haven't had any trouble with any of them, that this particular timer will handle the load. I couldn't say that about any other brand though as these are the only ones I use. Good point about the inductive load though...I'd never have thought of that.

Back
Top Bottom