Timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bromion

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm currently using two Coralife Digial Dual Power Center for my power and timers. It combines a power strip and programmable sockets, which is a nice design, but it's cheap, and you get what you pay for. I've also read about fire hazards with these.

How do you handle timers and electrical issues? I have one outlet near my tank and two lights to deal with on timers, then 10 or so other cords. I also want to GFCI all power at the sockets. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason

I ran separate circuits to my tank. You could run one circuit on a GFI breaker and protect your whole setup. I used a heavy duty commercial timer on my lights because all the other ones were rated at just 15 amps. I have 3 GFI circuits with 36 outlets. I currently use 27 of them so be sure to plan ahead.

I use digital timers I got from Wal-Mart. Much more accurate. They are plugged into a powerstrip that has a circuit breaker on it.

I use an Ingraham digital timer on my freshwater I picked up at Wal-Mart. It does a wonderful job.

I have a Coralife Power Center for my saltwater setup. It's not as easy as the digital one, but I have found that it is fairly accurate. It turns on and off at the same time every day...currently, I have it timing my 46 gallon and 10-gallon QT lights...I'm going to have to figure out how to do this now that my new lights have 2 cords for the daytime lights...but I'm sure it'll work out! :)

I never counted before, but I'm using 12 outlets right now!!! And when my new lights show up tomorrow, I'll be using 14! I wonder how much electricity these aquariums actually burn? :)

Back
Top Bottom