Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just want to catch the Chromis to transfer into the Biocube - they are both still in the QT tank now - they're both ready to move over.

Today is all about the Macro! I recieved my order from GCE today. The packaging was as good as any, shipped priority USPS. Without wasting space uploading pics of packaging, if you can recall the link posted previously of the given review. That's exactly what I got. Three tubes packed full: Calerpa sampler, Red Macro sampler, and chaeto. The chaeto went right into the fuge, but not before I went through it a bit looking for pest hitchhikers, and luckily I found three large pods, and one GORILLA CRAB!!! It was tiny about 2-3mm, but what I relief!.

I started to drip acclimate the red macro as I figured that was the way, but then everyone online seems to think a 15 minute float is a-ok.

While the red is dripping, the green is floating... I can tell you that looking at the red, I must've received (6) different red Macro's and they are all awesome looking!

The green hasn't been opened yet, but its chock full as well and I can see at least (4) types there as well.

One thing to note, was that according to the site, they were out of serveral species, but it appears that in the sampler, those Macros were included as well, so that's awesome. I was trying to figure out what they would send based on what they had in stock, but that wasn't the case at all.

Another tip - All you Biocube owners... I had a feeling it would happen, BUT, I removed the nasty sponge between chambers 2 and 3 and as I figured, when I added the chaeto to the fuge in chamber 2, some little clippings immediately shot into the display. Luckily it wasn't much because the chaeto was packed so tightly, but it still happened.

How does everyone keep this from happening? Do you use the sponge, or maybe put some floss down there?

I'll upload pics once I have them in the tank so that the beauty can be appreciated!

Learned something new today... I'm not a big fan of green macro! Lol....

So you can see what happened here:

10 gallon "QT" got all the green macro and some red... BC got the majority of red, and chaeto.

Attachments

• image-292143673.jpg
    image-292143673.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 142
  • image-1336500897.jpg
    image-1336500897.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 152
  • image-2313895295.jpg
    image-2313895295.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image-2853918354.jpg
    image-2853918354.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 120
  • image-2694303524.jpg
    image-2694303524.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 137
Just wanted to post the variety of Macros that I received in the samplers:

Calerpa Sampler:
  • C. Mexicana
  • C. Prolifera
  • C. Ashmeadii
  • C. Sertulariodes
  • C. Paspaloides
  • Acetabularia Sp.
Red Sampler:
  • Gracilaria Sp.
  • Eucheuma Spinosum
  • Halymenia Sp.
  • Ancanthrophora Spicifera
  • Gracilaria Hayi

Ha! I think you probably made the right call with the green macro. I think we have a little alarm bell in our brains that goes off whenever we look at our display tanks and see a bunch of green that says "algae alert!" It's like a gut reaction. I've been following your thread for a while and I really enjoy your updates. Can't wait to see the little guy in his newly decorated mansion. I think he'll like the red drapes!

Thanks for following. Yeah, its not that I don't like the look of the green, but as soon as I had it all in the tank, all I wanted to do was get it out!

I may change up a few positions, but I really like the red / orange and white look of the tank, maybe because it mimics the anglers colors perfectly.

I kinda figure I'll have enough green with the addition of the corals, so who needs more?

Hopefully, tomorow I'll get the water tested again after 24 hours with Macro, and see where I'm at. If its good to go, I may go ahead and move the angler over, and the chromis as soon as I can catch it!

I love the macros. I want to do a similar w/ red in my 55 at some point with a blue ham...whatever its called.

Possible issue though. Im not sure what the green macro is thats long and fern like, but that is one my lfs had in a tank. It overtook the tank so badly they had to tear it down and clean it. I went back a week later and the tank was overrun again. So be careful!

Thanks - I may just donate it to the LFS. Im really not impressed with how it looked in the tank, so off it goes. I could see how a full Macro planted tank would look amazing though... Maybe in my future ;)

The whole order of all the Macros I got was only $30.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe when I move the fish over, I'll add the extra sand I have some more rock, or not, and actually turn the 10 gallon into a marine planted tank!

Well went to the LFS today and got more brine - Tom, the owner was there and we talked about things, and long story short, I got (5) more gut-loaded ghost shrimp. So, since the angler now eats from my hand with brine, I got him to come into a small food container. I got him out and added one of the ghosts - within 3 seconds - gone! :)

I have since acclimated him - since the salinities were so similar I didn't drip just did the add a little method. Once he started getting antsy, I dipped the container into the BC so that he wouldn't have to be out of water.

He swam down on the rocks and grabbed on tight. Hope he likes it!

I went to move the trumpet coral over, but found a tiny aiptasia on the bottom, so I'll have to take care of that 1st.

Tomorrow, if I have time, ill kill the aiptasia, and move that coral over. Then I'll move the rocks out temporarily and catch that darn Chromis!

Finally, I'm seriously considering adding a sandbed to the 10 gallon and making it a marine planted tank / mini-frag tank till I sell my frags.

Sounds good! Glad you have your little guy eating. I bought some feeding tongs today and am going to try waving mysis in front of him. Lol. I'm getting desperate!

For mine, he was a little weary at first, since all I have is pipettes, sink basically have to put my whole hand in the water. To start, at least with brine, I would put the pipettes near him and let the brine swim out. Then I started pushing the brine out with a little pressure. Finally he was comfortable with my hand / pipette and would come closer when I went in. And now, he basically watches the brine come out, gulps them, or tracks them for a second. They don't last - any he misses the Chromis gets.

I'm excited about him eating the ghost though, finally got a fat belly. The ghost was about the same length as him.

Did you try the garlic?

Came home tonight stressing about the angler... I was so worried all day whether I acclimated him well enough, wether he ate too much with the brine and ghost, whether the tank parameters were okay in the BC...

Well, since my BC lunars are garbage, I could barely see anything at all, so I kicked on the lunars on the 10 gallon, and with that light I was able to locate my angler... Sitting right on one of the bushy red macros and leaned onto the rock! Exactly what I'd hoped for. Right dead in the front of the tank! Awesome!

Thanks again FT for having such a great taste in fish! So exciting!

Glad that he is doing great! It must be a relief for you since you were worried about him!

Thanks guys - after getting up this morning I found him perched on one of the tonga branches, which again is what I'd hoped, then shortly thereafter I saw him in the 1st picture. I took a shower, teeth, etc., and came back in and he had disappeared, I looked around the small tank for a solid two minutes before realizing he had gone to another Macro bunch and was totally camo. I don't know if this is the same stuff they mimic, but I find it quite difficult to distinguish between the red on his body and the red macro

Attachments

• image-4075723429.jpg
    image-4075723429.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 142
  • image-4050690382.jpg
    image-4050690382.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 144
(y),,nice,,i'm really glad your angler is adjusting and working out so well for you...
Love the macro,your giving me some ideas now:brows:

That is so cool about they camouflage abilities!

Your Angler is so good at camouflaging that I had to zoom in on my iPhone to see if the red stripe area was the macro or the fish, LOL.

Yes, it is AWESOME!

I got the Chromis moved over today finally, and took down the 10 gallon to bare tank, cleaned it up, put a 2" sandbed and all the rock back in and had it filtering when I left for work - started to clear up.

Still got the frags and trumpet in there too!

Back
Top Bottom