Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About 4".

I just got back from my LFS and found out about ghost shrimp prices and such and looked for some nice mushroom rocks.

The one's on DD were $130 and they were less than 2".

Awesome fish, but my LFS said they will only very rarely get them in, if ever :(

Back to DD watch.

That would be awesome. They actually get this exact white / maroon Wartskin angler? Or do they get assorted types? My heart is really set on this specific one.

I've got two more LFS's that I normally don't go to that I'm gonna check out tomorrow as well.

Thanks to Fort, I've got 40lbs of sand on the way, and I just ordered 50lbs of rock from Reefrocks - I was going to do the "reef saver" rock from BRS but it would've been almost double the price.

I've heard mixed reviews about reefrocks, but I hope I do okay. I'm planning on putting 40-45 lbs in this tank and the remaining 5-10 in the 54 gallon.

I'm also planning to buy 3-5lbs of tonga branch for this tank.

I loved the rock they sent me - they just are a bit slow on shipping.

Cool looking fish you are after there...

Yeah,they are definitely more rare than the painted ones or even the tan and maroon warts,and i have never seen one bigger than 2 inches for sale..
I really hope your able to track one down soon..I bet with spring/summer coming they'll start to show up more...I'm on DD a lot too ,so i'll keep my eyes out for ya...

Thanks. I've been watching DD like a hawk. Check it three-four times a day, waiting for them to add fish. I also signed up for e-mail alert for when they have them in the regular fish section.

I got the tank all cleaned up last night, and today it was out with the old sand.

Got some toys, though one is garbage.

I got a magfloat And a floating thermometer, but didn't realize it didn't have a suction cup. When I went back to look, all the reviews were negative and said it was inaccurate garbage!

I'll test it with my digital to see what happens... Where to find a cheap suction cup. I say cheap because the thermometer with suction cup is only $2.00.

Got my Chemipure elite and purigen shipped today. Sand and canopy fans should be here tomorrow.

Still waiting on Media basket, fuge basket, fuge light, replacement ballast, replacement bulbs, heater, (2) kinds of rock... and I think that's it.

I get paid on the 6th, and I'm VERY tempted to pull the trigger on this guy and put him in QT rather than wait for the Wartskin...

Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den® - Antennarius pictus

That's a really good looking fish too! I haven't seen any frogfish imported over here. One website has a picture but has been "out of stock" for the past five months I've been checking. If one does come in I've been thinking about selling everything to raise a frogfish.

Now I'm really freakin out. I just re-evaluated my cash-flow, and I have enough to cover this fish...

I like that it is already a good size fish (4"+), and around the same price I'd already planned on for the 1" little guy.

I really love the white/maroon look, but this guy looks bad a$$ too!

If I modify the frag tank and open up the majority with only a small egg crate shelf, will he be okay for about a month or so while I cycle?

Another thing I was thinking about today was the light. I have a 4-bulb T5 light sitting basically directly on the frag tank. Is this going to be too much light for this, or any fish?

I can try to make-up some caves with the rock I have in their now and I can easily throw in a piece of PVC.

Finally, if I don't buy this fish, I was thinking about adding a few small chromis after my tank cycles and then when I add the angler to the tank, he'll already have some live food to catch if he wishes... Thoughts?

TLTGF said:
Now I'm really freakin out. I just re-evaluated my cash-flow, and I have enough to cover this fish...

I like that it is already a good size fish (4"+), and around the same price I'd already planned on for the 1" little guy.

I really love the white/maroon look, but this guy looks bad a$$ too!

If I modify the frag tank and open up the majority with only a small egg crate shelf, will he be okay for about a month or so while I cycle?

Another thing I was thinking about today was the light. I have a 4-bulb T5 light sitting basically directly on the frag tank. Is this going to be too much light for this, or any fish?

I can try to make-up some caves with the rock I have in their now and I can easily throw in a piece of PVC.

Finally, if I don't buy this fish, I was thinking about adding a few small chromis after my tank cycles and then when I add the angler to the tank, he'll already have some live food to catch if he wishes... Thoughts?

Go for the red angler. Id get damsels instead of chromis but hey that's your decision. :) Either way do what you feel best doing.

Damsels over chromis for a reason? Won't they be too aggressive towards the angler? Never had any, so no idea.

I'm up for doing whatever is best.

What about the lights on the frag tank? Am I going to run into any issues there?

You have absolutely got to be kidding me!!! This is the 2nd time I have tried to buy my angler only to have someone else buy it while it was in my cart!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I just went to buy this beauty of a fish, and what do I see, sorry this fish is already sold!!!!!

I can not believe it!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I was really upset that I finally get the courage to spend $150 on a single fish, only to have my hopes dashed, again. BUT, after having a few hours to relax and let my adrenaline subside, I think I'm realizing that it's probably a good thing. My frag tank needs modification before any fish can call it home, and my angler setup isn't even complete yet. I want my angler to come home to a nice reef, not a bare tank barely out of cycle. So for now, even if I'm in denial, I think it's for the best.

I'll still be keeping a close eye out, just in case...

Back
Top Bottom