Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #401
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just purchased the Caulerpa Sampler, Red Sampler, and Chaeto from here:

http://live-plants.com/

Based on this review:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=280504

Old 04-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #402
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow that's a cool site. I just cut off some pretty algae that was strangling some of my corals. I think I got enough of it rubber banded to a separate frag rock so I can control where it grows. Can't wait to see yours in tank.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #403
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks - I'm not sure how big the stuff will be but I figure, as long as my readings are consistent, the tank is cycled, so I'll put chaeto in the fuge of BC29, and then put some macro in the frag tank / qt / angler tank and use what I need to scape the BC.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #404
Aquarium Advice Addict

How is the little guy doing..
He eat that chromis yet?
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #405
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chromis is still kicking, but the angler seems to be doing fine. I've continued to feed brine shrimp every other day to every third day. Each time I watch him eat 4-7 before I walk away. He hangs out all over the place, hides all the time, and swims once in a while.

I just checked my BC again today and the parameters are Ammo: 0, Trite: 0, and Nitrate... is 40ppm. This is the only part of the cycle that is concerning me.

I've never heard of a drop in Nitrates before. The trates were off the chart for days and then all of a sudden I fixed my return pump flow and the very next day they drop from 160+ppm to 40ppm?

The decomposing shrimp goo has been in the whole time, so I'm sure there is a source of ammo in the tank. I'm going to remove it today, do a pwc, and wait till tomorrow to check the levels again.

IF they look good, ie 0,0, <10, I will add my chromis to the BC29 and monitor the levels with him in there. I will also start doing the normal lighting cycle for the tank, and add the chemipure and purigen to the media rack during this time. Next week I will be getting the macro, so depending on the levels, I will start to scape the tank and start the refugium as well.

If all goes well, possibly the end of next week, I will start the transfer of the angler, and possibly even some corals, again based on the levels.

I'll post a video I took of the little guy two days ago.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #406
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a short (1) minute video. It's kinda boring (even the angler is yawning), but it shows the real behavior. Take a look.

Angler yawn, prepare, and swim - YouTube
Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #407
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do I just removed the nylon with the decomposing shrimp surrounded by a god-awful goo, and quite honestly, I have a VERY strong stomach when it comes to stuff, and I nearly puked in my mouth twice. That was the worst smell, I have ever smelled in my life. I also removed the 750 PH that was in the tank, since I won't be replacing it... It didn't smell

I relocated the nozzle on the return and I'm getting a much better flow pattern in the tank now, so I'm quite pleased with that.

Here is a FTS:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2140149897.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	91220  
Old 04-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #408
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF
Do I just removed the nylon with the decomposing shrimp surrounded by a god-awful goo, and quite honestly, I have a VERY strong stomach when it comes to stuff, and I nearly puked in my mouth twice. That was the worst smell, I have ever smelled in my life. I also removed the 750 PH that was in the tank, since I won't be replacing it... It didn't smell

I relocated the nozzle on the return and I'm getting a much better flow pattern in the tank now, so I'm quite pleased with that.

Here is a FTS:
That looks really good. I'm not even going to try to imagine what that shrimp smelled like!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #409
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
I took a dead nassarius snail out of my sisters tank once so I feel your pain. I have had 2 kids and never had a problem with smells until I smelled that.

The tank is looking really good! So you are doing corals and macro in the tank?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #410
Fish R friends, not food!

That is the main reason that I used ammonia cycling the second tank....LOL!

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29 gallon, bio, biocube, build, cube, reef, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com